Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Roscoe?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, Mar 10, 2001.

1. Anyone have any experience with Roscoe basses? They're fairly cheap on the used market (WRT their list price, anyhow) and I've heard nothing but good things about the tone. I know that Bass Player really savaged the fit and finish of the test LG3005 they got four years ago, but I'd presume that most of the quality control issues have been worked out by now.

If it helps, I play fusion (poorly... :) ) and hard, artsy instrumental rock.

2. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    I've been touting Roscoes for some time now. Keith Roscoe has gone to great effort to improve his processes, and based upon my burl myrtle LG3005, he has been very successful. I am so enamored with his products I am also getting a 5 string SKB (it arrives next week). The LG, with 18v 2 band is very versatile. However; if you slap, the 3 band is recommended.

I have been looking for "the one" for 3 years, and in my LG3005, I have found it. IMO, they are also the most beautiful basses built. Look at my profile, I have a few nice basses gathering dust.

3. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I own an SK-3007 and it's easily the best-sounding bass in my collection. That low b is massive and the whole range of the instrument (this is a 7 string, after all) is impressively balanced. Great looking/feeling, too. Can't recommend Roscoe high enough, at least based on the one I own.

4. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Been hangin out at Bass Central the past few days, schleppin basses and stuff for Beaver and the crew, and had the opportunity to "test drive" several LG-3005's (he had 3 fretted and one fretless, the fretless sold today). EXCELLENT basses, truly topnotch players, and they sound great. They are going for about 1500-1700 used (don't quote me on that price, I'm not an employee of Bass Central...yet ;) ). There are 2 used fretted at BC right now, both are amazingly good instruments, one is STUNNINGLY beautiful, brown with a killer burl walnut top.

5. I thought I'd mention that the gear/equipment section of your profile is blank. So, what do you have collecting dust? Shouldn't you sell those instruments for something you enjoy more. Perhaps another Roscoe?

6. Thumper

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    Oops, well somewhere along the line my profile got erased? I have the Roscoe LG 3005, Fbass Studio BN5, Lakland dlx 55, Pedulla Rapture 5, Steinberger Spirit 5, '66 Jazz, and soon a Rocoe SKB 5. As for selling, I only sell the ones I don't like, my wife lets me decorate the house with basses :D

7. BrandonS

BrandonS

Nov 15, 2000
    Hey There Thumper!

What type of woods and fingerboard do you have on your LG. Also, why do want to get an SKB five if you already have an LG? Is it just for a bigger body? Also how would you compare the roscoe's tone to say an MTD 535.

Thanks,

Brandon

8. Thumper

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    BrandonS, I like Roscoes well enough I also hope to eventually have a fretless 5! The SKB will replace my Fbass which was a little larger (and heavier) than I had hoped; and when I gig, if the stage is large enough I like to take 3 basses. I'm only getting the SKB (instead of LG) because it is almost as beautiful as my LG and will probably bring a little different tone to the table.

My LG 3005 has a burl myrtle top with burl myrtlewood body, therefore it is a little on the heavy side (but the tone is worth it). It has 18v. 2 band pre-amp, ivory nut, and spalted purpleheart board. The SKB is burl maple top, spanish cedar body with spalted board, so it will be a little lighter (for the 4th set).

I can't compare to MTDs, I've never played one, but from what I've heard Roscoes are more suitable for Rock/blues, and since I don't slap.... However, Mr. Roscoe says the 3 band preamp is good for slappers.

[​IMG]

9. Hmm...well, I like a "modern classic" sort of slap tone (lots of lows, low midrange, and treble), so could I get that out of a Roscoe with a 2-band preamp?

10. Hey Thumper,your pics of the Roscoe is very enticing.I'm looking for a high end bass in the future and have been eyeing the Roscoes(as well as the Modulus's).I've tried the 7 stringers just to see what a Roscoe feels like(thats the only one they have at Alpha Music and they are probably the only dealer in my area who carries that brand.)Seeing your photo is giving me GAS!!!!

11. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    I was able to coax a killer slap tone out of the 2-band EQ on the ones at Bass Central with little or no effort. They were very responsive to slap technique, got a nice fat punchy sound. Having the mid control would probably help some too, but I doubt it's an absolute necessity.

12. Thumper

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    Gard, I think you nailed it with your (fat punchy)description. The main advantage of my Roscoe over my dxl 55 Lakland (rosewood board) is the clarity of bass at the lowest registers, it is not soft or "wooley" (I don't know how else to describe it). Likewise, they can both get high, almost brittle sounding, but you can dial in a little more fullness with the Roscoe. An added benefit is you can dial in more growl, even approximating distortion (making my Fulltone Bassdrive II unneccessary). Again, I don't/can't slap, but I'm sure the ability is there with the 18v. 2 band preamp. My Lakland is 3 band and has fewer (or less dramatic) tones available (but I still love her).

13. SCORE! Fat and punchy is my favorite tone. I can almost get it out of my Dean, but the B-string response drops off enormously as the neck pickup is blended in ( :( ) so I have to settle for snarly and wiry, which often doesn't fit the music being played.

Well, I need to get a guitar amp this summer, and then I'll start saving...ah, hell, when I've got $2000 to drop on a bass, I'll probably just drive down to NYC, hit 48th Street, and play until my fingers bleed.

14. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Non-Digital-Youth-Ten-Minus-One

Gotta better suggestion for ya, when you get around $1500, call Bass Central. That's about what the used ones are going for now, and they go over them pretty thoroughly. The 2 used ones on the wall now could easily pass for brand new! :D

15. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    While I love fat and punchy the reason I got rid of my LG-3005 was because it was just flat out too thick sounding. This wasn't a problem for fingerstyle but I truly disliked the slap sound. It was an otherwise excellent bass, I just couldn't do everything I wanted on it.

16. Thumper

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    Brad, what was the configuration of your LG 3005?
    I played a walnut body rosewood board, and an acquaintance has a walnut body maple board (don't know if either were 9v.) that were fat, punchy but thick (mcCartneyesque). My 18v. myrtle body/spalted purpleheart can dial that tone in, but also can dial it out, so maybe the body wood and fingerboard have a large impact. My cedar body SKB arrives today, so I will have another comparison to add. By the way, Keith Roscoe is really enthusiastic about the sounds of his swamp ash body Roscoes (attack and edge).

17. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    The body wood did have a big impact on the sound. IIRC it was Cedar with a figured top and Rosewood board. It truly had a Super P sound...unfortunately I prefer Super J's. It sounded excellent for fingerstyle.

It had the angled Barts and the Bart preamp. I talked to Keith Roscoe who was very helpful. He suggested that an Aguilar preamp might help, then again it might not. I'm not a fan of trying to dial an inherent sound out of a bass so when the opportunity to trade for a Lakland arose, I took it.

I'd love to get my hands on a Maple or Ash bodied Roscoe to see if it could work for me but I don't think I'll buy another one to find out.

18. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    whats goin on!?!?! ^

19. Hmm...I like a lot of low midrange in my slap sound as well as my fingerstyle, since I'm a fan of BEEF. What might be too thick for one man might be just right for me. I guess I'll just have to play everything I can when I get some money...it doesn't help that I quit my job due to being ill too much :(