1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Roscoes and Barts

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lonnybass, Dec 22, 2016.

1. Lonnybass

Lonnybass

Jul 19, 2000
    San Diego
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    Hi guys and gals,

I'm hoping to get a better understanding of how Bartolini-equipped Roscoe's are voiced differently from the Classic Bass and Deep Tone pickups. I've liked some of the recorded tones I've heard from them, and would appreciate any insights. Thanks everyone!

Lonnybass

2. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    Try searching for the Roscoe bass club thread and try posting there. Sure to get more qualified answers there from the Roscoeheads.

3. Greetings, I may be qualified to address your inquiry.

;)

OK, the custom wound pickups we use are a bit "overwound" and are quad coils, as opposed to the lesser windings and dual coil nature of the CB's. What this does is it gives a bit more "punch" to the custom wound pickups, but they're also more naturally compressed, the CB's are more "open" sounding, a bit edgy compared to the customs. Both great flavors, but kinda like chocolate and vanilla ice cream.

I don't have much experience (read: none) with the Deep Tone pickups, so I am unable to give much feedback on those....

staccatogrowl likes this.
  4. Lonnybass

Lonnybass

Jul 19, 2000
    San Diego
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    Gard,

Thanks so much for weighing in my friend - it occurred to me after I posted the original message that I could hit you up on FB messenger and ask you directly.

I'm building a new bass with pickup locations closer to the bridge to get a bit more of that modern flavor. The Roscoe tone I'm most familiar with is Kim Stone's stuff with the Rippingtons, which I've always dug. The way you described it makes sense relative to that - I like how there's a sort of Ken Smith "ping" quality on the top end, but it's fuller sounding, less honky mids and treble.

Gard likes this.
  5. Kim's tone was definitely our custom wound Barts, for what that's worth. :)

Lonnybass and staccatogrowl like this.