Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Roscoes

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stinkoman20xx, Sep 23, 2004.

1. Stinkoman20xx

Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    I used to never like these until recently and they keep drawing my attention more and more and since ive been wanting to get a botique and these are priced really nice Im thinking about going for one now. Does anybody got any soundclips? would you say roscoes have their own sound or traits thats their own that nobody else has?

2. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I have to agree....the aesthetics of Roscoe basses (especially the LG look) has grown on me over the last year plus. Familiarity leads to positive affect, I suppose. I don't have any sound clips for you (althought there are other fellow TBers who do), but Roxcoes DO sound like Roscoes.

I just had a customer come by today to try out the two LG 3005s I have and he had the same reaction that I had the first time I ever heard a Roscoe. I would probably have never previously owned a bass with a Bartolini preamp and Bart pickups prior to my first Roscoe experience, but they just seem to sound right in a Roscoe. Now, I love the Bart pre/pickup combo in Roscoes...but only in a Roscoe. It's "the sound"! ;)

3. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    +1

Yes, Roscoes have their own sound. It's "the sound", if you like it. It's generally modern sounding, and it can get as bright as you want. The flexible midrange control is a really nice feature on the Bart pre, push or pull the midrange control to get two different sweep frequencies, both of which are useful. I have two LG-3005's at the moment, a fretted and a fretless. The fretted 5 has a slab myrtle body, and I've gotten to like the myrtle a lot. This is my second myrtle LG-3005, the first one I sold 'cause I ended up GAS-ing for the equivalent but with a maple fingerboard instead of the purpleheart. The purpleheart is nice too, but it has a deeper sound, thumpier, and with the myrtle which has a nice fundamental it ends up sounding very rich in the lower registers, like an Alembic maybe (but with the more modern sounding high end). This new one is set up with low action, it has an awesome string growl on the lower three strings and I've used it for a lot of hard rock and metal stuff in the studio. Surprisingly enough, I haven't slapped with it very much. It's a great slapping bass too, but it's set up for the other sound right now. To get it into slapping mode I'd raise the action a tad. I actually had this bass set up by computer (using the Plek method, see the thread in the "setup" forum), and it plays perfectly now, so there's no reason to change (got plenty other slappin' basses). :bassist:

The fretless LG-3005 is a superb instrument too, it's one of my favorite fretlesses. That one has the Spanish cedar body, with the diamondwood board. That diamondwood is great stuff. This one sounds great when it's slapped. :D

4. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
  5. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    TheDeadKing, email me at emjazz@hotmail. I have a few clips of my Roscoe six that I can send you. Cheers.