Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rose Royce -Car Wash Slap break?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by FUNKIESTMUNK, Mar 4, 2001.

1. FUNKIESTMUNK

FUNKIESTMUNK

Feb 25, 2001
    Does anyone have the tab for Car Wash by Rose Royce? I know pretty much the whole song, but i'm having trouble working out the slap break part of the song for example after the intro and before the vocals. I've tried the obvious places like basstabarchive but can't seem to find it anywhere. Please help me..

2. AWW come on thats an easy one, i am not even sure its slapped, or at least i don't slap it. i think the song is in Dm so try to let your ears figure it out.

3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Saw Rose Royce on the tube years ago & bassist Lequient Jobe DID slap it(all thumbed notes)...if I remember, there's TWO fills & they're both a little different.
    Anyway, back then, after a few attempts, I abandoned the notion of playing that fill note-4-note; basically, I would do something in a similar feel using D-C-A-F, maybe adding a "G" note in there as well + some ghosted/muted accents.
    Same thing goes for that 4-bar "solo" in "Call Me Al" by Bakhiti Kumalo; I've actually heard some guys around here(like Oteil Burbridge)do their own thing on that break & it just ripped! ;)

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

This is one I've tried as well and as you say, it's easy enough to get something in along the same lines, but the actual fills on the record are amazing - I think it would be almost impossible to tab these breaks. This is one on my "Best Funk.... ever!" list

5. i have to agree, i probally should have said in my first post that it is easy enough to play something close to the original, close enough at least for the listener to feel the groove in the fill. and i do think it is a little diferent evey time, probally because he was grooving.
    how does Boogie Oogie Oogie rate on your "best funk list?"

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Pretty funky for a chick. :D

7. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Hey! Don't make fun of one of the best dance songs of the mid-seventies...Boogie Oogie Oogie. We always danced to it in my aerobics calss. Car Wash is swell too.

JO

8. have you ever seen a video of them playing it, from the era that it came out. almost brings a tear to my eye. what a groove!

9. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Dang! I can't remember for sure if I did or not. I lived in the Philippines then and at that time we didn't see a lot of videos even though we did hear the music on the radio, especially Donna Sumer who was idolized there. We even had Kasey Kasum's "America's Top Forty" every week, but few videos in the seventies.

JO

10. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...I still have that album from back then(I recall seeing the live concert video, too).
    Janice Johnson is very smooth(Bass Player ran a feature on her a few months back).

11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I remember seeing them on TV and there's the break where she sings "listen to my bass playin'" - well that's what it sounded like to me! - and realised that she was playing bass and the it's like a little solo and I was really surprised - but I always thought the main bass line was very funky anyway.

12. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    I was listening to Call Me Al the other for the first time in years - all I remembered about it was that bass break in the middle of it. When I listening to it the other day, it sounded like it might have been played backwards. Can anyone else confirm this, or was the guy who played it so good he could reverse the way the notes were sounded? :eek:

13. yea the first half is forward then they flipped it over and pasted it for the last half

14. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    All Jobe did was come up with one of the most deceptive, funky set of fills ever, IMO. Sounds simple... until you try to do it;) It's slapped, it's bent, it can be frustrating.

15. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    25+ years of tryin', I'm totally frustrated...what's the use, eh? ;)
    Rose Royce(w/ "Duke" Jobe)had some really nice tunes; they'll be forever associated with "Car Wash"(too bad that's the only song MOST will ever hear by them). They sure did have some pretty mid-tempo tunes & ballads..."Love Don't Live Here Anymore", "Wishing On A Star", "Ooh, Boy", & "I'm Going Down"(nice line by Jobe on this one). Great band from back in the day...

Come to think of it, I did see "them"(who knows how many were really a member of the original band)a few years ago on one of those Sinbad/HBO "Summer Funk Fests" in Aruba(?)...