1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Rosetta stoned

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by f'nar f'nar, May 2, 2006.

1. Hey guys, just a quick question, does anyone know what effect's justin is using at 5:45 in the tool song Rosetta Stoned? I'm pretty sure its whammy bud does anyone know a model? Its a sexy sound! :bassist:

2. Pretty sure it's the (discontinued) blue bass whammy. He used that on the past albums.

Shame they discontinued it, I'd love to get my hands on one, but some say it's not that great, and the original is actually better on bass.

3. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Are you saying the red one is better for bass....cuz my drummer has one. He also plays guitar.

4. plasson

plasson

Mar 21, 2005
    quality is similar.
    features are different.
    prices too. :D

5. Noosh

Noosh

May 1, 2006
    North Carolina
    i would love one of those blu bass whammy's, but now that their discontinued it'd be hard to find one for a reasonable price anywhere.... trust me, ive tried.... but as far as what he's using in the song, i just listened to it. and it sounds somewhat like whammy and somewhat like wah... to me it does anyways..... just a quick question, does anyone know if the newer digitech whammy's work well on bass....?
    im considering getting one when i get the money...
    Thanx
    ~Joe

6. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    I'm gonna have my drummer bring his on Thursdays practice. I'll chime in with a review on Friday hopefully.

There also was a guy selling the blue one in the classifieds a while back...it was $200 plus.

7. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Do a search, i've reviewed it many-a-time.

But to the point, yes it's great.

8. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Hey ! Petary! Ain't you the guy that pimps rigs???

9. Craggsy

Craggsy

May 24, 2005
    Dont you just hate those people that own a Bass Whammy

[​IMG]

:bag:

I'm not sure if that is the bass whammy I can hear or as previously mentioned, could be a wah. It can be heard on track 10 where he plays harmonics at the start and rocks the pedal forward set to 2nd up, i thnk!

10. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Boy...a Rat, a Whammy...are yuoJutin? You don't play a Wal do you?

11. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    It could be one of two things:

Bass Whammy with a little auto wah. He does have and use an auto wah now.

OR

A synth. That effect sounds awfully similar to an effect used on "The Grudge" from "Lateralis".

12. Craggsy

Craggsy

May 24, 2005
    LOL! No unfortunately i dont own a Wal, thw whammy pedal alone is probably worth more then my current bass. :eek:

13. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Heck yes!

14. Noosh

Noosh

May 1, 2006
    North Carolina
    yes, i do.........

15. Dash Rantic

Dash Rantic

Nov 12, 2005
    Palo Alto, CA
    Aw man, lucky Bass Whammy bastard :p

I just picked up a WH4 (the new red one) yesterday, and I must say, it's absolutely awesome. I can only imagine how the bass whammy could be...

I don't really seem to have many tracking problems with it, and it even seems to track multiple notes semidecently, which I read it couldn't do at all... It's quite fun.

-Dash

16. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    I tried the drummers the other day. Seemd to work very well, (the red one). At this point it would take to much time to incorporate it into my playin.

17. plasson

plasson

Mar 21, 2005
    So... I'm here to be hated... :D

I'd like to give a suggestion to all Whammy users: put it AFTER the distortion/overdrive/fuzz/whateverhighgainpedal and the lag betwen the pluck of the string and the emission of the sound will become much shorter... tracking could be a little bit (and I mean a LITTLE bit) influenced about it, but it's a sacrifice you'd want to do...

18. Craggsy

Craggsy

May 24, 2005
    Ill give that a try!

BTW IMO the digitech bass whammy gets more credit then its worth. Prices are stupid on ebay, £300 UK pounds i saw one go for, I paid ALOT less for mine, but thats what happens when something becomes rare and gets so much credit. There are settings unique to the bass whammy however id like to compare the tracking to that of the WH4 and I doubt Ill hear much difference.

19. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I've heard from numerous sources that the bass whammy isn't as good as the one for guitar... even on bass. Do you have any clips?

20. Craggsy

Craggsy

May 24, 2005
    Dont have any clips at the moment but ill try to sort some out soon!