Rosewood as a neck wood? (Warmoth)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cjazz50, Dec 26, 2001.

1. I'm thinking about replacing the neck on my Fender P with a fretless neck from Warmoth. There are two rosewood fretless necks in the thriftshop right now. Can anyone tell me how they might sound?
  2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Since you're talking "fretless" (not usually looking for brightness and hard attack), the rosewood could work out very well, IMO.

Warmoth uses Palisander for their rosewood necks, so it wouldn't feel like a lot of the soft, "gooey", cheaper, rosewoods used for fingerboards. It has a rep for not needing any type of poly or lacquer finish because it feels very good just when it's sanded.

Being a bolt-on, I don't think you can expect it to contribute a whole lot, tonally, especially in the fundamentals. But, expect what does come out of it to give sort of mahogany-like warmth and lows as opposed to the brighter-sounding woods like ebony and the maples.
  3. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    these are the two:

rosewood + rosewood

rosewood + ebony

i have no comment on either...just helpin a brother out :D

4. You may want to consider that the neck might be a good bit heavier than a maple neck.. possibly resulting in a balance problem (might not be that bad.. I'm just speculating). A store near me has a Warmoth Telecaster guitar with a rosewood body and it is the heaviest guitar (or bass for that matter) that I've ever picked up. It was even heavier than those clear acryllic BC Rich monstrosities.
  5. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I've got a fretless Curbow with Brazilian Rosewood neck, and fingerboard. It sounds great. The body is made out of Mahogany. Lots of mwah and growl. Even with TI Jazz Flats.
  6. Yup, Warwick5S, those are the ones. What about strength/stability as compared to maple or other common neck woods?