Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rosewood Bass Neck?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Steve Swan, Oct 14, 2004.

1. Steve Swan

Steve Swan

Oct 12, 2004
    Burlingame, California
    Retailer: Shen, Sun, older European
    My old Premier bass has a big ol' hunk of Brazilian Rosewood for a neck. Did (do) any other makers use any of the various Rosewoods to make necks? How do they sound?

Steve Swan

2. Anti_Wish

Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    i believe that about every bass company uses rosewood necks

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Actually, BrowneBass210, you may be thinking of rosewood fingerboards.:rolleyes:

Steve, you won't find many basses with a rosewood neck. It is a very dense, oily, heavy wood. Usually makes for a neck heavy instrument, unless a heavy wood is used for the body as well. And then you wind up with a very heavy bass.

Warmoth will make a rosewood neck. I am sure a lot of custom builders will build you a bass with one, for the right price. But I don't think that anybody will build a Brazilian rosewood neck any more. The stuff is too scarce and expensive. There aren't many pieces left big enough for a neck.:(

4. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    As embellisher said, you're thinking fingerboards.

5. Anti_Wish

Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    whoops guess i read his post wrong! my bad. but i do remember saying that PRS is making a New santana Guitar (not a bass but so what?) that has a brazilian rosewood neck.

6. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    Fender used to make an all rosewood telecaster. You could build one out of non-brazilian rosewood.

7. Steve Swan

Steve Swan

Oct 12, 2004
    Burlingame, California
    Retailer: Shen, Sun, older European
    My Premier neck (1959-60?) was originally little a fretted "log" of Brazilian Rosewood with no truss rod or fingrboard. When I had Rich Hoeg put it together, there was too much banana shape in it , so I had him skin off the top, insert a truss rod, and put on a bound Brazilian Rosewood fingerboard. I love playing it because it's got a HUGE profile that give my tendinitis-afflicted left hand a break.

Steve

8. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    My '88 Curbow fretless has a brazillian rosewood neck/fingerboard and a mahogany body, and it is the farthest thing from heavy. It weighs about 7 lbs. The neck is absolutely stunning in person.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. BassMonk, that is a beautiful bass.