1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Rosewood Bass Neck?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Steve Swan, Oct 14, 2004.

1. Steve Swan

Steve Swan

Oct 12, 2004
    Burlingame, California
    Retailer: Shen, Sun, older European
    My old Premier bass has a big ol' hunk of Brazilian Rosewood for a neck. Did (do) any other makers use any of the various Rosewoods to make necks? How do they sound?

Steve Swan

2. Anti_Wish

Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    i believe that about every bass company uses rosewood necks

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

Actually, BrowneBass210, you may be thinking of rosewood fingerboards.:rolleyes:

Steve, you won't find many basses with a rosewood neck. It is a very dense, oily, heavy wood. Usually makes for a neck heavy instrument, unless a heavy wood is used for the body as well. And then you wind up with a very heavy bass.

Warmoth will make a rosewood neck. I am sure a lot of custom builders will build you a bass with one, for the right price. But I don't think that anybody will build a Brazilian rosewood neck any more. The stuff is too scarce and expensive. There aren't many pieces left big enough for a neck.:(

4. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    As embellisher said, you're thinking fingerboards.

5. Anti_Wish

Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    whoops guess i read his post wrong! my bad. but i do remember saying that PRS is making a New santana Guitar (not a bass but so what?) that has a brazilian rosewood neck.

6. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    Fender used to make an all rosewood telecaster. You could build one out of non-brazilian rosewood.

7. Steve Swan

Steve Swan

Oct 12, 2004
    Burlingame, California
    Retailer: Shen, Sun, older European
    My Premier neck (1959-60?) was originally little a fretted "log" of Brazilian Rosewood with no truss rod or fingrboard. When I had Rich Hoeg put it together, there was too much banana shape in it , so I had him skin off the top, insert a truss rod, and put on a bound Brazilian Rosewood fingerboard. I love playing it because it's got a HUGE profile that give my tendinitis-afflicted left hand a break.

Steve

8. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    My '88 Curbow fretless has a brazillian rosewood neck/fingerboard and a mahogany body, and it is the farthest thing from heavy. It weighs about 7 lbs. The neck is absolutely stunning in person.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. BassMonk, that is a beautiful bass.