Rosewood board care and maintenance

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SebBass, Mar 19, 2004.

1. SebBass

Jan 7, 2004
    Hola, ladies and gents !

Im the proud owner of a beautiful sadowsky and the not so proud operator of sweaty, acid palms. :help:

I just wanted to know who uses what to use their respective fingerboards - Mine's in dying need of a cleanup, so... :rolleyes:

I heard about: - Lemon Oil
    - Lin seed oil

....Anybody else has anything to suggest ?

Im all ears !
    Thanks !
    Seb :D
  2. many will claim that lemon oil will dry out the fretboard.

if you decide to use linseed oil, be certain it is boiled linseed oil.

personally, i use some stuff called "fretboard honey" that i bought at a local shop once. i like the effects, but i have never compared it to boiled linseed oil.

3. ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Lemon oil is good, but make sure that you use a brand that doesn't contain drying agents.

I've used mineral oil for many years and I've found that it works great.
    Use it very sparingly and wipe off any excess after a few minutes.
  4. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Mineral oil is super cheap, too!

I have a question, how often should you oil a rosewood fretboard? I have a rosewood Schecter that I've owned for almost 2 years but I've never oiled the fretboard. Is this something I should yearly?
  5. ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Rosewood doesn't need to be oiled very often, it's pretty durable stuff.

Depending on how often you play--and the climate that you live in--maybe once or twice a year should be sufficient.
  6. SebBass

Jan 7, 2004
    Thanks for replying so quick guys...!!!!

im new to this forum...Im starting to like it :)

So, should the linseed oil/mineral/lemon/whatever be acting as some sort of a cleansing agent ? Cause my fingerboard also happens to be pretty cruddy...Essentially, just wondering if anyone has cues for this...All ears again ! :)

Have a good one...!

(I meant drummer...heheheh)

7. JerseyFunk

Jan 8, 2004
    No cleansing agent needed. Apply whatever oil you choose with #0000 steel wool. That'll take the gunk off. Don't forget to wipe the FB clean of any excess oil.
    Mineral oil has worked well for me in the past but I'm switching to Butcher's wax since the guys who made my bass recommended it.

8. ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    The lemon/mineral oil works better ( I think ) as a cleaner. If it's really, really dirty, you may have to clean it with 0000 steel wool first. Make sure you rub it down the length of the fret board--lightly--don't grind it like there's no tomorrow. Then finish up with the mineral oil. Don't forget to mask off the pick-ups with plastic before using the steel wool, or else you'll never get the metal dust off of them. If you can find 0000 brass wool, that's even better--it's non-magnetic. Brass wool can be difficult to find however.

( If you do a search on this topic, you'll find that it's been covered in several threads in the past.)
  9. SebBass

Jan 7, 2004

Thanks for the super advice guys :)
  10. stoneroses

Feb 29, 2004
    hey,so after all that is done,i was thinking of staining the rosewood fretboard with those commerical wood stains meant for rosewood furniture as a finishing touch.that's hoping to restore the dark brown when the guitar was bought brand new that has turned to light brown.
    is this suicide?
  11. BigTopBruno

Sep 6, 2002
    NJ, USA
    make sure there is not any poly in the stain, and you should be OK.