Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rosewood Fingerboard Care

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by XtromatriX, Jun 2, 2005.

1. XtromatriX

XtromatriX

Dec 18, 2004
    MD
    I'm wondering what would be the best thing to use on a rosewood fingerboard that's looking pretty dry... Any sugestions will be helpful thanks :)

2. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Lemon oil is exactly the stuff. It cleans and brings out the shine all at the same time. You can get it at just about any guitar, furniture, or hardware store.

It's also really easy to use. Just put some on a clean cloth and rub until the cloth stops getting dirty. Then rub some more, because it's fun.

-Nate

3. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    he nailed it....T

4. eldave777

eldave777

May 24, 2005
    lakland recomends orange oil. Probably not much different than lemon oil. I've used it for years and Homer Formbies is pretty good stuff.

5. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    Well, as far as i know, "lemon oil" is just a lemon (pun intended). The "lemon oil" you buy at guitar stores, is usually just petroleum distillates, and yellow color + lemon smell. It doesn't give your fingerboard any moisture or care, it just makes it glossy, cleans it and makes it smell good.

The things i've found that works for different things is:

-Teak Oil, which is good for saturating of a really really dry, brigth rosewood board. Makes it dark and smells, though.
    -Mineral oil, a.k.a "baby oil", which gives the same effect as "lemon oil", except that it works a bit better, and it doesn't smell.
    -Butter\soy oil. When used very sparingly, it gives a dry board it's much needed fat and moisture. Only needed in extreme cases though.

Thats my advice, use it if you want. But please don't sue me if it makes everything go to hell :D

Cheers!
    -Erlend

6. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    I use Formby's lemon oil furniture treatment...t

7. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    I use the same.

8. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    Lemon oil made wonders to my fingerboard, cedar oil may be an option too maybe?