Rosewood Fretboard Concern

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by MonkeyWrench32, Jan 18, 2004.

1. I used some GHS Guitar Polish on my rosewood fretboard. I noticed some of the finish coming off when I was buffing it and this is what it looked liked about an hour after I finished cleaning it. The GHS polish says that it's safe on all woods and hardware, except untreated wood. Could this be the case with my fretboard? It's a MTD Kingston 5.

I actually like the look of the fretboard with the white lines in it, but should I be concerned? Should it be coated with anything or is it safe as-is?

2. I don't think it's a concern. i've noticed on my acoustic guitar that the grain of the rosewood fretboard is really open. you can actually see grooves in the wood. it looks like yours is the same way, and the polish has built up in the grooves and......solidified? i have no idea if this is bad or not, but it may not be the best thing if the stuff isn't recommended for unfinished wood because...........

i may be wrong, but i'm pretty sure rosewood is usually left unfinished on fretboards. maple's the one that's most likely to be finished, and that's because of its light color that stains easily.
  3. Ahh, I didn't think about it being built-up inside of the the grooves. This looks like it may be the case because the same thing is happening around the frets.
  4. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    Use lemon oil instead.