Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rosewood fretboard questions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Max, Mar 11, 2003.

1. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    I am really enjoying my new MIJ reissue P bass and particularly like the feel of the rosewood fretboard. There is moistness to it that is just great. Anybody know about the wood: is it oiled at the factory? Or is it simply natural moisture from the wood itself? Do the fretboards dry out over time? What do you guys put on them if anything to keep them that way?

2. Max, by moist do you mean soft to the touch, or is your fingerboard actually damp?

Rosewood is my favorite fingerboard wood, with ebony as a close second. I really don't do much in the way of maintenance on my basses. I've had an Ibanez Musician that has an ebony board for 22 years and as far as I can tell it hasn't shrunk at all.
    From what I hear, rosewood is a lot more stable than ebony.

Rosewood: Feels and looks so good. :)

Mike

3. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    If you start to lose that "moist" feeling, you can maintain it by using lemon oil. (I use Formby's Lemon Oil-NOT lemon furniture polish a.k.a PLEDGE). Its oil made from lemons, DURR! It keeps your board from drying out and will work with most fingerboard woods. I use it on all my basses(ebony,rosewood,wenge,even maple-although it doesn't soak into the maple as much as the others). Bon apetit;)

4. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    It's just a little softer, there's a more defined grain, but not moist where it would smear if you touched it. It's just perfect really. Assuming it ever starts to dry out I'll try a drop of lemon oil. Thansk