Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rosewood Fretboard Repair Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Gander, May 31, 2004.

1. Gander

Gander

Jun 5, 2002
    Texas
    Hi, I need advice on how to repair a crack at the first fret on my Fender Jazz V fretboard. There is also a slight bump near the crack. I would like to sand this down to the neck contour as part of the repair. I use boiled linseed oil on my fretboard so the edges of the crack are probably soaked with that. The crack is about the width of a thin sheet of paper, maybe .002". I don't know how deep it is. Thanks in advance for the help.

2. Sand it lightly, then wick in some CA glue and before it dries, sand lightly again. The crack will be repaired and filled with dust from the sanding. Then it becomes invisible.

Job Done!

3. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    You may want to determine the cause also... The bump looks as though it may be pushing the first fret out of whack. Also, this is the area that the truss rod termintates, so this bump would tend to worry me that something more serious may be amiss...

-robert

4. Gander

Gander

Jun 5, 2002
    Texas
    Thanks for the quick replies.

Hambone, What is CA glue? Where is it available? Also, what grit sandpaper should I use?

Robert, my thoughts exactly but it's been the same for months with no change and everythings buried so I can't determine what, if anything, is pushing up there. Think I'll fix the crack and just keep an eye on it for now.

5. Well I sure can't see all that from the photo. :eyebrow:

RF....is right if it's got a mechanical cause. I can't remember if the F5's have the truss inserted from the back but if they do, then I would be worried since the trussrod slot is isolated from the fretboard. If the TR on these basses is a headstock adjustment then there might be more cause for concern. But that point on the TR doesn't usually have much direct pressure. But then, I'm going on a single fretwidth of pic.

If you're satisfied it's a stable crack that doesn't have a concurrent cause then I'd just repair and see what happens. My method is invisible enough that it won't mess the value. Besides, you would repair it the same way after fixing the cause, should there be one.

CA is superglue.

6. Gander

Gander

Jun 5, 2002
    Texas
    Hambone, Neck adjustment is from the headstock. If the bulge increases, is there a quick fix or would a new neck be cheaper? Also, is there a direct replacement neck for the MIM Jazz V or would one have to be fitted? Who makes a good neck that would fit? Thanks for the info.

7. If the bulge gets larger, I think a new neck would be the most economical route. To fix it would require removal/replacement of the FB and that's gonna run you just about the same as a new neck. IMO get the neck and install it a lot quicker than waiting for the repair to be done.

8. Gander

Gander

Jun 5, 2002
    Texas
    Hambone, I pulled off the truss rod nut to have a look see and found the nut cracked(see sketch). Do you know where I could find a new one that would work? The local Fender dealer couldn't help. The new one needs to be not much over 1/4" diameter to fit in the plastic sleeve Fender uses. Thanks again.

9. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    Luthiers Mercantile International (www.lmii.com) and Stewart MacDonald (www.stewmac.com) both sell truss rod nuts. Not sure if they will fit the truss rod you have.

Also, you need to determine why the nut cracked. Did it get to the ends of the threads and someone tried to tighten it further? etc.....

:^)~

10. Kahuna's got it right - LMI, or StewMac for this little item. I bet that someone didn't have the right wrench for this and tried to force something in there. Maybe they even used a flat blade screwdriver.

Still it's sorta weird that the FB cracked right there with it opening up towards the bridge.:confused:

11. Gander

Gander

Jun 5, 2002
    Texas
    Thanks Guys, I've got one on order from LMI.

12. wrenchy

wrenchy

Nov 26, 2003
    Moose Jaw, Canada
    Have you completed the repair? I just found the same problem on my MIA Jazz V. Looks like I've got some work to do, hope I can fix it.

13. Gander

Gander

Jun 5, 2002
    Texas
    No luck yet. The one from LMI didn't fit. Ordered one from my Fender dealer and the threads were different. I have never gotten the neck as flat as I would like. Even the new ones I've looked at had too much neck bow. I love the sound of this bass but hate the way it plays. Now I'm thinking of ordering a Warmoth neck for it. The Warmoth neck is a few thousandths bigger than the neck pocket so fit up shouldn't be too hard. I don't know if the Warmoth neck will make it neck heavy. Heard anything about this?

Another option would be to remove the fretboard and old trussrod and install graphite stiffeners and a double acting truss rod in the old neck. The parts would run about $60 for this option with a lot of labor. I've never seen anything written on this but I believe it would work.

Last option is to just part out the bass. I'm resisting this because with a set of stainless roundwounds this bass sounds great.

14. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    Here's my $0.02....

If you like the sound of the bass, etc., and are capable of doing the work yourself, I would steam off the fingerboard and replace the truss rod. No need to put graphite rods in it, just replace the truss rod.

Also, keep in mind that this will probably also result in needing to do a refret as well, as when you pull off the fingerboard the frets will probably move like crazy and you'll have to pull them and replace them. This is usually where the cost of having it done by a guitar tech comes in, is the refret work.

Warmoth does make great quality replacement parts, no two ways about it.

Or, you could shop around on eBay for a used replacement neck.

15. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Maybe I'm nuts, or I've missed something... BUT...

The crack that's there, certainly doesn't seem major enough to warrant major surgery,,,, YET. Is it worse that the photo illustrates?

16. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    Hey McHack,

There is more than just the crack in the fingerboard. The truss rod nut is cracked and no longer working, and he's having a hard time finding a nut that will fit it.

Here's a thought as well, maybe take the old nut to a local machine shop and see if they will make you a new nut and tap threads into it to match? Should be pretty cheap to have done.

17. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Oh crap, ignore me then... I have a habit of reading the original posts, & then just scanning the subsequent posts that follow. I obviously missed the truss rod bit...

18. Gander

Gander

Jun 5, 2002
    Texas
    Thanks for the input, Guys. The original Fender truss rod will not adjust flat enough to suit me. I'll probably take the Warmoth route, maybe when it cools off a bit here. I live in South Texas and my garage is like an oven. Sounds like a good fall project to me. I'm still in business though. I just bought a quilt top Peavey Fury V. Plays like a dream right out of the box. Fender could also take a few lessons in customer service from Mr. Peavey. Thanks again and God bless.

19. wrenchy

wrenchy

Nov 26, 2003
    Moose Jaw, Canada
    Well, after two weeks at the local luthier/ music store. I've got it back. They ended up drilling out and rethreading a nut for something else (a guitar I think??). It seems to adjust well now. I think the old one split due to the extremely thin walls around the hex. The new one uses a smaller wrench but is much thicker. I'm glad I found this post as I had purchased this bass only a few days before, the store repaired it for free(they offered to give me my money back if I'm not happy with it in a few months). I really like the sound, although the wide neck is going to take a bit of getting used to (my old Aria 4 string is quite skinny).