Rosewood grain opening

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Milothicus, May 21, 2003.

1. I'm not sure how long this has been going on, and i'm wondering if it's a problem. it's actually an acoustic guitar, but i'm sure you guys can still help.

The guitar is 6 years old. the fretboard has never been oiled in any way. it looks like the grain is starting to separate from itself. there are small openings over about half the board, each maybe 0.5 mm wide, and up to 2 cm long. it doesn't seem to be affecting the playability of the guitar, but i'm wondering if cleaning and oiling the board will help, or if it's a lost cause, or if it's normal for rosewood.

It's a Norman B-20 guitar and i love it. i don't ever want to own another acoustic guitar.
  2. well, i cleaned with naphtha, and oiled sparingly with mineral oil. that was a couple of weeks ago. there were a couple of spots that looked drier than the rest before i oiled that look better now, but the open grain is still there. the measurements made it sound worse than it is. the openings aren't really noticable in normal light. if you look at a light's reflection off the board, you can see a long band running down the neck that has this 'rougher' grain, so i guess it's just part of the wood. if you check your rosewood necks are they perfectly smooth?
  3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

It seems that owners love their Norman Boucher guitars but the downside is that he tried to make a very affordable, great sounding, guitar...translation - some compromises had to be made to make it affordable, like your low grade Indian rosewood.

What's going on isn't typical at all of high grade Indian rosewood but there are many grades or Indian rosewood. Apparently, yours has low grade. That's not surprising because the run on Indian rosewood just drove the quality into the ground not too many years ago. Fortunately, the quality has improved in recent years when Indian tea plantations discovered that high quality rosewood trees planted in their fields to protect the tea plants from harsh weather were a good source of secondary income.

I've even seen a review of a Norman where the owner reported his bridge was pulling off the guitar. But the owner said he loved the instrument as you do yours and just had a nice bridge installed by a skilled luthier.

Maybe you could just get a nice, high grade, rosewood fretboard installed on yours. You can even find the legendary Brazilian rosewood for a fretboard if you know where to look. But I don't think yours can be repaired unless some synthetic gunk is applied to your fretboard. Junk wood will always be junk. I'd just get a fretboard made with some nice wood installed by a good luthier.
  4. i'm not surprised to hear they used cheap wood. the guitar is definitely a low-end model, but i just love the thing. i haven't played anything in any price range i like more......well, some taylors were louder.......but justnot the same sound.

my bridge isn't lifting, and the crappy rosewood doesn't affect playability.........yet, so i think i'll leave it for now.

well, at least now i know that it's not my maintenance schedule (or lack thereof).

Thanks for the help....