Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rosewood necks. Not fretboards.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jock, Feb 8, 2002.

1. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
  2. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I've got a brazilian rosewood neck with a brazilian rosewood fretboard on my fretless Curbow. It's glued into a mahogany body with passive Barts. Played with rotosound flatwounds, it has a big, warm, round sound to it.

The rosewood neck didn't require finishing, so it has an opengrained feel to it--almost like a slightly more oily version of a wenge neck.

3. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Unless there is some other wood in there too, it'd probably sound bad. Something about resonance of one wood neck. My bass has a Pau Ferro(sp?) on walnut neck and works great.

Also I don't know how good rosewood would feel under the fingers. Now if you could get an all ebony neck.........

Just my opinions, I might be wrong about the resonate part.

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I'd like to hear more on this. I'm looking to build a warmoth Jazz 5 frettless with a birds-eye maple neck and board on a swamp ash body.

Warmoth had an all ebony 4 string jazz neck in the thriftshop a while back.... I almost picked it up for the L337n355 factor... I think it would be too thin & bright sounding.

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Warmoth used to make all ebony necks. I don't know if they still will, due to the scarcity of good ebony.

I don't think that a neck made entirely of the same wood is a bad thing. My Pedulla Rapture J2 has a maple neck and a birdseye maple fingerboard, and sounds great. For that matter, a lot of maple fingerboard Fenders are made of one piece of maple that was sawed in half to put in a truss rod and then glued back together.

6. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA

No, one wood necks are just fine. I have never seen/read/heard anything to disprove this. Hell, even Fender PBasses started with only maple neck/fingerboards.

Also, rosewood feels just fine under the fingers. It doesn't require any finish, so if you like natural necks, it might not be a bad choice.

As for an all ebony neck, I've played a couple and besides being ultra bright, they are extremely heavy, so neck dive is pretty bad. Curbow once made an all ebony bass--it might as well have been made of lead.