Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rosewood or Mahogany P-bass body

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Infamous_MB, May 4, 2004.

1. Infamous_MB

Infamous_MB

Dec 11, 2002
    Indy
    Ok, I know Fender used to make a rosewood body Tele...but does anyone know if there are any P-bass bodies out there made of rosewood or mahogony?

2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I remember an ebay ad for a 1964 CAR Precision bass that was completely stock including the mahogany body (visible thru some wear in the finish and at the neck joint). Some of the experts at the Fender Forum said that these were very rare but authentic. I've never heard anything about a rosewood bodied Fender bass, but I'm not one of the experts.

FYI the mahogany '64 was selling for at least $4k, and this was like 3 years ago, so expect to pay beaucoup bucks for a mahogany P-bass if you're lucky enough to see one.

Oh: you might want to check whether the Fender Custom Shop will build you a mahogany or rosewood body P-bass... that'll probably be cheaper than any vintage one you come across (if you're so lucky).

3. I have an inexpensive P-clone with a solid mahogany body and it sounds great. I think mahogany is a great wood for a bass, especially if you are looking for a thick, vintage tone.

4. Are you sure about that? I'm not entirely doubting you, (and it's not like anyone would intentionally misrepresent anything on the bastion of integrity- Ebay) but when Fender commissioned the Rosewood Telecasters and Strats for George Harrison and Hendrix in 1969, there was a big to do about those. (Hey heath... Phil Kubicki built those!)Then they didn't do it again (at least with Telecasters) until the mid 80s. I haven't heard of anything else in between.

Walnut, yes. Rosewood... I doubt it.

5. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    The bass player in Live, has a 1963 Mahogany P-bass.
    I've seen a 1970 fretless p-bass with a mahogany body.
    They were rare, but fender in the 60's did do some odd body woods.

6. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Actually I agree with you, I am not aware of any rosewood bodied P-basses. However there have been some P-basses made of mahogany.

7. I'm sorry, I didn't even notice "or mahogany," I was too busy being fixated on Rosewood.

Sorry, my bad!

8. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Fender has reissued the Rosewood Telecaster. However, I don't think it is solid rosewood. Probably just caps. You would think solid Rosewood would way a ton!

9. kazuhank

kazuhank

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    Solid rosewood would weigh a ton! Especially on a P-Bass body. If your back is willing, Warmoth can make a solid rosewood bass body--lots of weight and $$, but it would probably sound unique!

10. Sort of like an Ebony body...

11. oh, God, that's scary.

robb.