Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rosewood or maple fretboard on a P-Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fourstringbliss, Oct 3, 2004.

Rosewood or maple fretboard on a P-Bass?

Poll closed Oct 17, 2004.
  1. Rosewood

35 vote(s)
    42.2%
  2. Maple

48 vote(s)
    57.8%
  1. Which would you choose for the fretboard on a P-Bass - maple or rosewood? Why?

2. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    Go play a few. I have both, I like both, they still sound like P-basses.
    For some people it's "feel thing" [raw rosewood vs lacquered maple] some people can "hear" the sonic difference [IMO maple is a little brighter and rosewood a little darker; but then what is the body made out off, what pickups, what bridge] and still for some it is all in the looks [what color board goes with what color finish]; it's all basically subjective anyway. In the end, how will YOU know what you like if YOU don't try 'em YOUR SELF.

3. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    If I got a P bass it would probably be used mostly in hard rock settings; anything from punk, to hardcore, so Id go with maple.

Its got a little more top end and bite to it. Not a huge difference, but its there.

4. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA

Hey Aaron, so rosewood is raw and maple is finished? Does that mean maple requires no upkeep while rosewood needs to be remoisturized every couple years?

I would go for the rosewood just because I prefer a more mellow sound.

5. So rosewood has a more mellow tone and maple a more biting tone, right? Is it really that noticeable? Can you point me to an example of each in a popular song or classic rock song?

6. pistoleroace

pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    WI
    I had John Suhr comfirm this for me just the other day. Maple only needs to be cleaned where Rosewood needs to be cleaned and then oiled. And you should do it less than the "every couple of years" you mentioned.

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yes, its noticeable to people with a good ear, but its less determining in the sound of a bass than other factors, but i definitely notice it.

8. etherbass

etherbass

May 24, 2004
    hey man.. i play a maple fretboard jazzbass and i can tell a huge difference from my sisters rosewood jazzbass. the maple bites through more and has a cleaner sound. great for funk, jazz and rock where you want the bass to be really defined. I do like rosewood as well though..has a more dark and woody sound. its up to you.. try them both out through the same amp.

9. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    maple cause like the way it looks :)

10. If you want a quick guide, just take a look at the materials used by Fender on there different signature models, designed to emulate the tone of those artists. Two that come to mind are the Marcus Millerand Geddy lee models. Both bright punchy and snappy, and Maple. Now look at the Victor Baily and Jaco basses, Warm and fat and rosewood.

Now there are other factors such as ,build quality, body woods, neck, pickups, etc. But the the whole is an equation that will add up to your tone.

Play them and decide. Then buy one of each :D cause there both great!!!

11. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    Yes, although I don't "remoisturized" my rosewood ones very often [and on maple I only clean the board when I change strings; http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=144519 ] I find cleaning and re-oiling is somewhat more important on a fretless because after a few years the gunk messes what your sound :p

12. bassjamn

bassjamn

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
    I'll go with Warm and fat, Go rosewood!

13. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Id use a P for the same thing even with a maple board. P basses are perfect for that you just have to change how you attack the strings.

Did you use any compression or preamplification when you recorded? That would definetly make a difference.

I belive that the difference really only shines through the mix if you're playing really agressively. Its in the presence and attack of the bass that I notice it.

14. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Black P-bass with a maple fret board.... yum.

15. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York