Rosewood or Maple Neck? Stingray 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rick1906, Jul 31, 2005.

1. rick1906

Jun 6, 2002
    I want to trade/sell a bass and get a Stingray 5. What's the difference tonewise between the rosewood or maple neck?
  2. People say that it makes a diffrence in sound but I think its in there head (im ready to be flamed for saying this). But there is def a diffrence in feel. Maple being softer and roeswood being harder. What color are you getting if you cant pick on "sound" or feel then go with what will look better.
  3. Marshes

Sep 20, 2004
    1. Maple will be heavier than rosewood.
    2. Maple is usually acoustically louder.
    3. some say maple causes a "dead" sounding G
    4. Rosewood will be slightly brighter and have a balanced sounding strings.
  4. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Maple looks better

But I may be biased.

5. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    i like yuor bass,is very nice,but in a Jazz Bass rosewood look better
  6. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    In my experience, I don't hear a huge different between the two woods. I always imagined that maple, being harder, would be brighter. Personally, I really love the way maple looks, and my own SR5 has a maple board with a natural finish body.
  7. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I've A/B'ed the two. Never noticed a difference. Go with what feels and/or looks better.
  8. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    I have owned 1 RW ray and 2 maple ones. To me maple feels better, looks better, and sounds a little snappier in the highest frequencies.
  9. Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    Yeah... me either. Then one of the music store "experts" out here (actually, he is a very good bassists...) told me that maple was better for slapping, when I was trying out a MM Ray with maple fingerboard.

I'm wanting to get a 5-string one day soon, and I'm thinking about maple (gee, did the dude plant a thought in my head?). Oh well, my Stu Hamm is a rosewood fingerboard... might as well have the best of both worlds. :smug:

But... what about Pao Ferro?
  10. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Ever notice Flea used a Rosewood boarded Stingray? That whole "better for slap" is a load of bull. I think the individual pieces of wood make a bigger impact than the material of the fingerboard.
  11. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    A bass with a maple fretboard will probably sound *slightly* brighter, but not that much to care about, IMO.

My main dilemma about rosewood vs. maple is that I like the way maple LOOKS much better than rosewood, but I am *slightly* more comfortable on a rosewood neck.

Tonewise, my current active MM SUB5 (rosewood) sounds quite identical to my old MM Pre-EB SR (maple).

12. Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    Thank you, Tim. I respect your opinion, and will keep that in mind when I finally get around to choosing my 5-string. ;)
  13. ugo

Jan 8, 2005
    Northern VA
    Sound Design Coordinator, Camel Audio | Designer, Ugo Audio
    imho, maple is brighter.
    neither is better than the other for slap, its just a matter of personal preference.

14. WarwickFan

Feb 7, 2005
    I like the look of maple when new, but I don't like that well used dirty look. I know some do. Rosewood will always look good. As far as sound, I can't hear the difference. One thing I would like to see, mfg.'s giving more of a choice than maple or rosewood. How about a wenge or ebony board on a Ray?
  15. Time Divider

Time Divider Guest

Apr 7, 2005
    Ever notice when TB enters into the endless "rosewood vs. maple" debate that the lighter color always sounds a little brighter? Coincidence? I think not. It's called planting a thought.