Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rosewood or Maple?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Coleman, Mar 6, 2004.

1. Rosewood

17 vote(s)
    41.5%
  2. Maple

20 vote(s)
    48.8%
  3. Other (what it is?)

4 vote(s)
    9.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coleman

Coleman

Oct 13, 2001
    Hong Kong
    which one do u feeling like?
    or other?
    why?

2. Rosewood plays good. Maple feels good.

But I vote for Ebony.(other)

3. Pause

Pause

Jun 4, 2003
    Miami, FL
    I like the feel of a rosewood board, but I prefer my bass with the maple board.

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    maple neck and board is my preference....

but my naughty side lusts for some Wenge :bag:

5. JerseyFunk

JerseyFunk

Jan 8, 2004
  6. I think I'd have to go with ebony on this one too, although Rosewood is probobly my second choice. I;m not too crazy about the feel or sound of a maple fingerboard.

7. vometia

vometia Formerly cbh

Nov 1, 2003
    Oxford
    A week ago I'd have said maple. Now I've got my sparkly new Stingray I have to say rosewood: IMHO it looks better (well, depending on the bass, of course), feels nicer and any worries I had about it adversely affecting the brightness of the tone have now been dispelled.

Of course once I get into fretless playing I'll change my mind again, fickle creature that I am. :D

Chris.

8. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

i like the unified look of maple. i like the feel of the finish too.

9. appler

appler Guest

I like Rosewood... at first I was worried it wouldn't be bright enough for slap but it's great. My Jazz with an ash body and rosewood fingerboard is the most versatile axe I've played in a while.

10. Pirate

Pirate

Mar 6, 2004
    I like the look and feel of Rosewood a lot more. I've played alot more basses with a rosewood neck, though.

11. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I really don't care. On Precisions, I tend to like Maple, but it depends more one bass for me than the fingerboard.

12. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I prefer the feel of a rosewood board, since most maples I've seen have a finish on them (which I don't particularly feel-wise) but I prefer maple sound-wise. Visually, it's really a tossup because it all depends on the rest of the bass.

As for alternative woods, the only other woods I've tried are wenge and ebony. Loved ebony, but the wenge was on a Warwick and I think the neck was wenge too (brown, long, VERY open grain) but I couldn't get over how much I disliked the rest of the neck on it so I couldn't make any remarks about feel and the bass woods were pretty different from anything else I've played (most basses around here are the standard ash/maple or alder/maple with maple/rosewood boards); plus I've never heard anything with MEC electronics so I can't make any comments on how the wenge fingerboard affected the sound.

13. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    Maple,purpleheart or Pau Ferro. -Luke

14. I like rosewood...looks good, feels good, sounds good

15. cods

cods

Sep 16, 2003
    my bass has a purple heart fretboard. it's rather yummy. :).

but out of the two, maple.

16. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    Definitely rosewood, for looks and sound.

17. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I usually don't close threads that have been done before, but *this* topic has been beaten within an inch of its life many times over.

Closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.