1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rosewood or MAple ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by amiel85, Feb 25, 2008.

1. amiel85

amiel85

Feb 21, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    difference between them ?

2. There have been 50 threads on this in the past week. Did you even think to search? Did you assume that your question would be unique? Did you not even bother looking through a couple pages? Seriously? Is this post a joke?

3. bluestarbass

bluestarbass

Jul 31, 2007
    Indianapolis
    Here Ill sum up every thread on this topic in 2 sentences.

90% of people believe looks is the only difference

10% of people believe maple is brighter and rosewood is darker sounding.

I fall into the camp that thinks it does make a tonal difference, albeit probably the smallest difference of any part of the bass.

4. BillMason

BillMason Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2007
    Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! HAH ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! HAH HAH ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

5. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    once again...

rosewood is chewy all the way through and tastes slightly of nuts
    maple is crunchy on the outside, chewy on the inside, and tastes slightly of a canadians undershorts.

when will they learn?!?

6. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    MAple has two capital letters in it?

It is a trick question, right?

7. GearGod

GearGod

Aug 10, 2006
    Akron, Ohio
    Yes their is a search function, but sometimes the threads are old, pictures not there anymore so on. The guy stating the question may have signed up a day or a minute ago! He came to TB to find out a bunch of new info from more experienced people, and join a COMUNITY! Flaming him, and yelling about the search function is meaningless. WE ARE SUPPOSED TO BE FRIENDS HERE! The TB community is fairly huge, and we have all walks of life here, If you don't like a post, IGNORE IT! Why spend your valuable time and our bandwidth on trying to hurt or insult someone? I got pissed off at TB a while ago and went to other forums. They were much friendlier, but also much smaller. I can find a huge amount of info here, but sometimes we get into this mode where we feel we must Better the other person. This is wrong. We are just a bunch of people that love the bass guitar. Some of us can afford to own a 100 basses, and all the gear. Some of us are new guys looking for some help learning OUR INSTRAMENT! We live in an allegedly free society. BASS LINE, If you don't have anything positive to add, try another thread!

8. ^ I had an instrament once ;)

I, personally, found little difference when I A/B'ed a USA Jazz, ended up getting a sunburst with rosewood, it sounded slightly... thicker, but ever so slightly, my choice was purely cosmetic

9. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    +1

For my own tastes, I'm a rosewood kinda guy. IMO opinion maple sound is generally more aggresive than I like. YMMV, IMO, etc.

10. wingnut

wingnut

Apr 18, 2007
    Las Vegas Nv.
    +1 to Gear God, when I first signed up and asked a question a long time ago, I got flamed, filleted, and frosted because may caps key was stuck on. I was pretty pissed at first, but then another TBer just like Gear God stuck up for me and railed everyone for flaming the newbie. His screen name is Membluz. Amiel, don't take it personal, sometimes long time members forget what it's like to be the newbie. In answer to your question, IME maple does sound a bit brighter with all else being equal.

11. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    I just like the look of rosewood better...I really can't tell any tonal difference or feel anything different...I have also had ebony fretboards, etc...and can't tell any difference there either...If there's a difference tonally or feel wise, I just ain't good enough to tell it I guess...LOL

12. amiel85

amiel85

Feb 21, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA

thanks ..

13. amiel85

amiel85

Feb 21, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    thanks man ..

14. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    amiel;

Stick around. IMO the guys who are the most knowledgeable are some of the nicest guys on this Forum. KJung, Vic and Tombowlus come to mind. Psycho Bass Guy and Joshua are also in that category.

Lots of other good guys on this forum and if I didn't think to include them it's simply an oversight on my part.

15. GearGod

GearGod

Aug 10, 2006
    Akron, Ohio
    The Old BS is just getting older!

16. BillMason

BillMason Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2007
    I don't think anyone was trying to flame anyone else. But of all the topics on here, this one has got to be the most beat to death, possibly the most polarizing, and without doubt the easiest to find using Search. Those who's posts you felt were negative (such as mine) are probably people who were participating in the recent maple vs rosewood bloodbaths, and were a little tired of talking about it. My laughter - sorry, I'm sure it's sources were completely incomprehensible to you - was due to that I've spent the last couple of days searching and reading up on this topic, and have been re-living the flame wars, even though I wasn't involved the first time around.

To the original poster (OP): sorry if I came across as a jerk, it wasn't intended, and welcome to TB. For information, TB is kind of like drinking water from a firehose, and it's all available using the search function at the top of the page, to the right. There are some real TB geeks like me who spend *way* too much time on here see all the topics that fly by, and some topics are just like bad chili, they keep coming back over and over again.

PS, you might consider paying the $20 and become a supporting member, you'll find this forum to be well worth the $20, much more valuable than a $20 patch cable or subscription to Bass Player magazine!

17. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    If you were tired of the maple-rosewood bloodbaths I don't understand why you even looked at another maple-rosewood thread in the first place.

18. barebones

barebones Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Denver, CO

Excellent point. Now I'm wondering why the hell I'm here.

Matt