Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rosewood or Maple?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Muttluk, Sep 9, 2000.

1. which do you guys prefer your finger boards to be? maple or rosewood? me personaly i go with rosewood, maybe its cause thats all i've played my whole life, so it just makes maple feel funny.

2. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    If we are just talking about "prefernce".... I would have to say rosewood. But it really depends on the bass and the overall look.
    I am not even going to get into...feel, or sound....:)

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I have both, plus Pau Ferro, Purple Heart, Ebony and a composite material. I like these on the basses I own and have also had nice Ebony, Wenge, etc.

Short answer...depends on the bass.

4. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Maple is brighter. My Ibanez ATK300 had a maple fingerboard that I loved.
    I also Like Ebony over rosewood. And Wenge.

5. What looks better depends on the finish color.

6. Craig H

Craig H

Mar 23, 2000
    Kansas City
    I'd have to agree. I used to think I was a "rosewood guy" and that maple was too bright for me and, as a result, I probably missed out on some great bass bargains over the years. However, over the last few years I've changed my mind. The "sound" of the fretboard is less important to me than the overall package of the individual bass.

Craig

7. extreme

extreme

Mar 20, 2000
    I'd lean towards rosewood, but maple is fine (IMO) as long as it's got a satin finish rather than a really glossy finish. Why not go with wenge? It's unfinished like rosewood and has the warmth of rosewood along with the brightness of maple.

8. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I own Maple and Rosewood boards but I tend to lean more towards Maple for reasons unknown maybe its the smooth feel of the maple.

9. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    I like a nice satin finish no matter what the fretboard is. The high gloss stuff always seems to slow me up. I used to be a maple person, but my current bass is rosewood, so I've come to enjoy both. I'd like to try out pao ferro or wenge sometime though.

10. Maple, for sound, look, and feel. :D

11. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Depends on the bass, but I just saw a new Fender Am. Std. Jazz with a Sunburst body and a maple neck... SWEET bass. My Stingray has maple, i like that. I don't like rosewood, but maple and ebony are my faves. Pao Ferro and wenge are good, but odd (rarer).

If one or the other, MAPLE!

12. Robert B

Robert B Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2000
    Hampton, Va USA
    I like the feel of maple, but prefer the sound of rosewood -- to my ear it has a softer, bassier sound. I just bought a MIA Precision with ash body and rosewood fingerboard -- love the tone!!

13. phil_chew

phil_chew

Mar 22, 2000
    Asia
    I have both types. The rosewood neck and fingerboard on my Fender Precision American Standard sounds sweet and musical. But the maple fingerboard on my Lakland 5 string sounds great too. Apparently, maple gives the best results if you want a tight and punchy low B.