Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rosewood / Palisander?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Peik, Jan 13, 2005.

1. Peik

Peik

Dec 2, 2004
    Sweden
    Hey Luthiers

I have a question.

Somebody recently sold me that Palisander is the correct name for Rosewood.
    I always thought that Palisander was a type of Rosewood, like indien og brazilien, not that I think Palisander is a country but like dark, swamp and light ash.
    This person told me that Palisander was they official word for Rosewood, but I believe that it is a type of rosewood, so that if it says on a guitar add, "rosewood fingerboard", it does not mean palisander fingerboard, which is what he it saying.

Who is right

2. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Aren't we all?
    I mean Palisander is, like Jakaranda, a very much used common name for rosewood. In Sweden and, I believe, Germany, at least.
    So it's just the same thing - though rosewood is anglo, palisander more germanic, and jakaranda is pronounced the latino way.
    Conclusion: local, common names.

Oh dear, I missed that this was for Luthiers...not for linguists! :eek:

3. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    There's a lot of slop in common names. Rosewood is the commonest common name for the genus dalbergia. Yet some woods are often referred to as rosewood that do not belong to the genus dalbergia (african or bolivian rosewood).

The same seems to apply with palisander and jacaranda outside the US. References to Rio Palisander or Rio Jacaranda (as well as Rio rosewood) generally refer to Brazilian rosewood (dalbergia nigra). Jacaranda Pardo appears to generally refer to machaerium (which may be "bolivian rosewood").

I have also seen palisander rosewood being offered. This was dalbergia baronii.

Again, there's a lot of slop in common names.