Rosewood vs Maple...Sire Edition! -Swapping Necks

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Farrin D, May 3, 2018.

1. Farrin D

Farrin D

Jun 7, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    We’ve seen, read, and heard time and time again about the differences between rosewood necks and maple necks making a difference in sound and tone. Well, I decided to do a test with my Vintage V7 and P7 basses to compare. The P7 came stock with a rosewood board and the VV7 came with a maple board. I switched the two and played similar grooves on both basses and would like to hear your take on the tone differences. Have a listen and enjoy!

Last edited: May 3, 2018
    mexicant likes this.
  2. mexicant

mexicant

Aug 28, 2012
    Mid Michigan,USA
    Cool,maple sounds brighter.

3. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    I agree, and I had come to the same conclusion from my less scientific observation of multiple Alder-bodied SX basses, 2 with maple fretboards and 2 with Rosewood fretboards.

And in hindsight I had decided that it makes sense. The body and neck are in compression from the tension in the strings. But the neck has more compliance (it's so thin it flexes) and so differences in materials are more likely to get reflected/transmitted to the string at the nut, thereby affecting the strings actual vibrations. I'm not saying that body wood doesn't matter (EVERYthing matters), just that the neck impacts on tone are larger.

mexicant likes this.