Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rosin Pops

Discussion in 'Bass Humor [DB]' started by Uncle Lee, Feb 28, 2006.


  1. Oh my god!

    I just tried to heat my Pop's Rosin in the microwave because it was not rubbing onto the bow hair properly. I turned it on high for a few seconds and WHAM! there were sparks and a flash of light in the microwave! :eek: I turned it off right away, part of the rosin case was singed black ...

    Apparently the waves had reflected off the metallic sticker on the side, because I tried it again without the case and nothing happened ... anyone else had this kind of experience?

    Certainly gives a new sense to the name Pops Rosin! :smug:
     
  2. Dad Bass

    Dad Bass

    Jun 22, 2005
    New Jersey, USA
    I don't have an answer but I want to thank you...I way thinking of trying the same trick..I need another plan.

    Dad Bass
     
  3. Charles Shores

    Charles Shores Commercial User

    Jul 26, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Owner: Guitar Barre
    Lol...I tried the same thing.

    Melted the case.
     
  4. Trick? No trick! I thought the rosin was exploding!

    But seriously, I just took the rosin (still wrapped in paper) out of the case and microwaved it for 6 seconds, twice. The reason I did it twice (rather than 12 seconds all at once) was that I wanted to see how it reacted. I wanted it more sticky, sure, but not all gooey and messy. It worked out fine.

    Unless you can find other posts/answers to the contrary, I suggest that you "nuke" it in short bursts of about 5-6 seconds until you are satisfied with the consistency. The way I would describe mine would be "somewhat malleable", and it rubbed off very nicely onto the bow hair. Good luck!

    Never try this on your bass though, even if you are after a more mellow tone ... I'm sure the machine heads would cause some nice sparks! :hyper:
     
  5. Oh.

    Charles, you posted just as I was writing a reply.

    Melted the case, you say? Now that DOES sound exciting! Maybe I should put it back in!?















    :p
     
  6. Charles Shores

    Charles Shores Commercial User

    Jul 26, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Owner: Guitar Barre
    lol yep!

    A small hole where the giant sparks were!
     
  7. MonetBass

    MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

    Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    Let me know when you find a microwave you can fit your bass into... :rolleyes:
     
  8. Ok! :D
     
  9. Dave Speranza

    Dave Speranza Supporting Member

    Mar 28, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    i melted the container doing this as well

    melted pops on your microwave platter = NO FUN
     
  10. This thread makes me feel happy. I am not the only one to make that mistake :rollno:

    Unfortunaly, my Pops melted in my bedroom, so now I use Nymanns.
     
  11. The BurgerMeister

    The BurgerMeister musician. Supporting Member

    Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    even though we all know we're talking about rosin, here..... :eyebrow: this makes me giggle.

    :D
     
  12. I used to work in a lab next to a 1.3 megawatt radar....
    You could fit your whole band, all your gear and your tour bus in front of that one easily.
     
  13. JoeyNaeger

    JoeyNaeger Guest Commercial User

    Jun 24, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Bass Specialist, Lisle Violin Shop
    I had that problem back when I used pops...if you peel the metallic sticker off of the can, it doesn't do that anymore.
     
  14. SRX705NT

    SRX705NT

    Sep 11, 2006
    Arden, N.C.
    i tried to use pops before and i just couldnt do it it didnt work well for me for a couple of reasons,


    1. the first time i got it i had no idea how to use it
    2. after i learned how to use it it was to hard to apply in band class cause i takes awhile for me and i didnt have a microwave to nuke it in
     
  15. atrombs

    atrombs Supporting Member

    Mar 16, 2007
    New York, NY
    yeah not gonna lie.... it's happened to me lol