Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

rosin queries

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by Johonn, Nov 19, 2004.

1. Johonn

Johonn

Nov 19, 2004
    Brunswick, ME
    Hello all,
    I have a question regarding rosin... I use Pop's bass rosin, and have trouble getting the strings to respond when playing fast passages in my music. Should I look for a rosin that is better suited for playing rapidly? Or do i just need to clean my bow and reapply rosin?

2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Pops is prone to building up on the strings. All rosins do it, but Pops moreso than many others. If it gets too heavy, rosin becomes counterproductive.

I have found that a lint-free rag will knock the buildup down easily enough with just a bit of elbow grease.

It helps me anyway.

3. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Make sure to always clean the strings after you are done playing.

With Pops I find I need very little of it...so go easy when applying it.

With that I have never had major build up on my strings.

4. I've always found Pops to be too 'goopy'; it gets all gritty and leaves a nasty residue that's hard to get off. I'd reccomend trying something else, like Carlson or Nymans.

5. Johonn

Johonn

Nov 19, 2004
    Brunswick, ME
    Ok, if i do change rosins, should i clean off my bow, or just start in using the new rosin?

6. Ideally when switching rosins you should get a rehair for your bow, but I know that's easier said than done. Although, old dead hair may be part of you problem in the first place. Aside from that, I've had decent luck cleaning bow hair and strings with denatured alcohol; just be sure not to get any on your stick or your bass.

7. Pete G

Pete G

Dec 31, 2001
    Northern Virginia
    Pop's is a grippy rosin -- that's why people like it. I haven't found anything I like better, and I've tried nearly everything else on the market.

Here are several tricks I've picked up to get past the stickiness "challenges":

1. A new cake of Pop's is MUCH better than an old cake. I get it directly from the company, and I don't use it when it's more than a couple of months old.

2. Apply it correctly. Pops (and any sticky rosin) needs to be melted into the hair. You accomplish that by a very fast downbow stroke across the rosin. Don't grind it on slowly. If you're pulling tree stumps, follow that up with a fast upbow stroke. I find I never need more than two swipes.

3. Don't use too much. See 2 above.

4. Clean the strings after every playing session, and during the break on a long rehearsal or concert. Copper scouring pads like Chore-Boy work best for me on my metal strings. (I imagine something softer would be needed for gut.) A rag will do in a pinch for short-term cleaning, but it takes something abrasive to really get the string cleaned off. Don't use steel wool or scourers -- they'll abrade the string.

5. Clean the bowhair periodically. What works best for me is to vacuum the hair using the furniture attachment for the vacuum. This cleans off a lot of the old, dead rosin gunk.

8. nikkis67

nikkis67

Nov 24, 2004
    Utrecht NL
    for me nymans does the trick...