1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rosin recommendations

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by PinkHat, Dec 6, 2011.

1. PinkHat

PinkHat

Nov 8, 2011
    I have been playing upright bass in school for 4 years and teachers always used pops rosin. I have heard good things about carlsons rosin. Does any one major differences between the two.

2. Both are quite popular. I have used Carlsson for some time in the past before discovering Kolstein soft...haven't looked back since.

3. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    I use pops. Haven tried anything else yet, so I can't judge it against anything. But so many people use it, so there must be something good about it!:p

4. I can pull a huge sound with Pops. Only thing is that you need to play it in for about ten or fifteen minutes to get a cleaner sound. A bow freshly-rosined with Pops is like a grizzly bear, a bow with Pops melted in is like a Panda bear.

5. Have to agree with this. Fresh pops on a bow sounds like a chain saw. Carlsson's is a bit waxier and smoother for a good sound right away. I have tried both, but now I use oak medium.

6. DarnellBass

DarnellBass Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2011
    Denver, Colorado
    I use Melos dark and Dr. Thomastic soft and only need about 2 or 3 swipes every 4 hours; the purer the rosin the better. The tones you get on these are superior to Pops and Kolstein.

MELOS ROSIN Philosophy

7. darkocuk

darkocuk Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2009
    Kelowna, B.C., CANADA
    100% agree on that

8. irbassist

irbassist

Jun 17, 2009
    OAK!!!!!!! Get it. It's life changing.

9. DC Bass

DC Bass