Rosin too hard?

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by soulgaard, Dec 30, 2002.

1. soulgaard

Aug 31, 2002
    Hello all

Forgive me if this is a stupid question.
    Im having some trouble applying rosin to my bow.
    My rosin seems to be too hard and crystalized to apply, and the bow doesn't get sticky from it.
    should i warm the rosin before applying it?

- Per
  2. It's not a stupid question.
    You haven't said what brand you're using. Most music stores sell the very worst, i.e. Petz. The Swedish rosins (Carlsson or Nyman), Kolstein's, Popp's are all generally year-round OK. Popp's may be softer than the others.
    The rosin should be able to perform at average room temperature. Having to warm it doesn't make sense. In the event the rosin seems cool/hard, it should be warmed enough by the friction of the bow being drawn across it. If not, a softer grade may be necessary. But we can't help you unless we know where you are and what you're using.
    Y'all come back now.
  3. Hmm,

I have the very same question. I'm using Thomastik-inkfeild (sp?) hard Rosin. I just ordered it from Lemur and it arrived yesterday. I live in South Florida where it is hot and humid 10.5 months of the year. The rosin I used previously (I don't remember the brand, green container) was on the medium-soft side and it melted all over the place.
    That's why I got the hard rosin.