Rosing question-From yet another Super Newbie

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by kik4adog, Jul 29, 2002.

1. kik4adog

Jan 3, 2002
    I recently started playing my double bass with a bow like this week.
    And the rosin that I bought looks like a hard chunk of Rosin.Now I've never used rosin before but I've read people talking about rosin as something that "oozes".
    But mine is just like a hard chunk of rosin and when I apply it I don't really "see" anything on the bow.
    Is this normal?

I am wondering because I am getting squeaking (which I expected being a newbie) but I need to know if it's my technique that's causing it or if I'm not getting any rosin on my bow.
    Does it have to be heated up or something?

Also...I am well aware of the reccomendations of getting a teacher to learn arco bass playing.
    I intend to look for some instructional videos for the time being.
    But I am not a jazz or classical music.I am playing in an acoustic rock trio and, for the time being, I really just want to play some basic bowing for slower songs.

If anyone has any advice to help eliminate squeaking I would appreciate it.
    I'm kind of flying blind right now.I don't know if you're supposed to apply little pressure to the string or heavy pressure.
    Or to hold the bow at an angle..etc.
    Thank you!
  2. What brand is your rosin? Rosin is usually solid. That's about the best I can say. When I got my first DB (a plywood China bass) it came with a cheap bow and violin rosin, that didn't work too well.
    As for squeaking, well the best I can tell you is whenever it happens, try to make it stop, find out why it's happening. I have been studying arco for 3 months now after trying to do it on my own for almost 2 years (off and on) and alot of the "ugly" sounds (squeaks and what not) have started to get under control. So I would say just keep working on it, plus you should try to take a couple of lessons just to save yourself alot of agony.
  3. Hie thee to a (Good) Teacher! It'll save much wailing and gnashing of teeth later! C'mon - you know it makes sense! (see other threads hereabouts...)

- Wil