Rosoe Beck V

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by King David, Aug 9, 2002.

1. King David

King David

Dec 13, 1999
    I haven't seen very many of these around. I have only seen one up close and personal. Are they still making them? Are the still attainable?

How is the low B on this bass?
  2. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    They're around, but I hear a Roscoe Beck II is in the works. There's been no Summer NAMM announcement, so I guess it's still in development.

The B is very good, period. It's a lot fuller sounding IMO than the B on any of the currently-available active MIA 5-strings. No need to apologize for the 34" scale.

Unfortunately, even after all the tinkering, I don't think Mr. Beck completely fixed the double beating problem; on mine, the B-string still goes sharp the higher up on the neck you go. Oh well, no one's perfect.
  3. ChronicPyromaniac

Jan 25, 2001
    There have been rumors about an RB4, but, like the 2-pup Stingray, they haven't shown up at NAMM yet...maybe in January??
  4. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Roscoe Beck V is still my all time favorite bass ever!

i tried one recently and i can only dream about getting one in the near future...

it's a lean mean Tone machine...

BTW: they still make them
  5. I love that bass, I've played one once and the all around tone was just right. Not too abraisive and just the right amount of lowend to get through. I'm thinking of getting one used if I can.
  6. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Ahhh, the bass so nice I bought it twice (both used...)

I had the double-beating thing happen to me on the B-string after I switched string brands, but lowering the pickups a smidge solved that problem without hurting tone.

The B-string doesn't match the clarity of that on my Modulus Q5, but duh, the RB5 is a traditional, passive bass: alder, 34" scale. The B-string matches the other strings just fine; it gives the classic Fender tones all across the fretboard.
  7. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    I made this bass with Roscoe Beck/Bill Lawrence pickups. I didn't like the neck on the Beck, as I wanted a thin neck with a 35" scale. It worked out really well, but now it's sold. Cool basses, though.
  8. smakbass

smakbass Smakkin basses for 25 years..

Aug 6, 2002
    Vancouver Canada
    Is that a tuner on that one? I played a beck yesterday at Long & McQuade in vancouver and really didnt care for the neck either, I like Jazz style thinner necks.
  9. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    Yep, a Sabine tuner. It worked really well for me -didn't have to plug anything in, just turn volume off and tune up. It "heard" all my strings well, except the "B" which I tuned as a harmonic. I guess I'll stick it on another bass someday.
    Laurence Mollerup
  10. I WANT ONE!!!!!!!!!!

I have heard only great things about this bass and since I really love Fenders it would be my dream to own one.Never had the opportunity to play one yet,but I hear they are "all that and a bag of chips".

11. smakbass

smakbass Smakkin basses for 25 years..

Aug 6, 2002
    Vancouver Canada
    Ah I see so Peter doesnt have it on the bass anymore then...
  12. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    two question:

1) is it true that the RB has a low output signal?

2) which is the street price for a Roscoe Beck V in the USA, i ask this because i am planning my first and long awaited visit in the Usa and i'd love to come back home with a bass. you know USA bass are really expensive here...

i have to decide between
    Fender American Deluxe Precision 2002 V
    Fender Roscoe Beck V
    Reverend Brad Houser (this will be a problem since they sell direct only...)

and a bunch of other basses such the Stingray, the G&L...

13. Jeff Haley

Jeff Haley

May 17, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga.
    They do have a low out put but it is not a problem for me. I love these basses. I paid $1100 for mine new. I've seen them advertised for $850 - 900 used. These basses are worth every penny. Buy one if you can.