Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ross Valory...Journey

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by SeanG, May 16, 2005.

1. SeanG

SeanG

May 16, 2005
    Does anyone know what type of fretless he played on the Escape album? This has been bugging me.
    Thanks,
    Sean

2. I don't think he was using a fretless. There's some question of whether he was using a Peavey T-40 or and Ovation, and he seems to have gone to a Steinberger for the next album after that. See this older thread:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14347

Mike

3. VifferMike

VifferMike Registered Four Banger

Dec 10, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    He recorded the Escape album and played the Escape tour with an Ovation Magnum II, the first one with the eq sliders on it. He used the Peavey for Frontiers, and a Fender Jazz up until the Departure album. He didn't switch to a Steinberger until after the Frontiers album, IIRC.

Magnum IIs sell for $250-$450 on eBay, depending on condition.

4. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Are you sure? He's playing a Steinberger on all the videos and concert footage from Frontiers. I read he had used the T-40 as early as the Escape album, getting that growl with the "out-of-phase" switch that is on the T-40 (I owned both basses, BTW, and could get that exact tone from the T-40 with that switch).

5. johnvice

johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    When rock videos proliferated in the early '80's I would carefully watch what Ross was doing for clues to his sound. He played fingerstyle with his right hand really close to the bridge.

This was Jaco's main right hand position as well.

Try it to get a unique sound, not to mention a unique feel. Once you get use to it you can increase your playing speed.

6. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    Journey's live "Captured" album came out before "Escape" and Ross is playing a T-40 on the live shots from that album. I've always liked Ross's playing but not necessarily his choice of basses but I admire someone who plays the instrument they like rather than what is considered "cool" to play.

7. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I get that tone from my Bartolini equipped Yamaha. I roll the blend to favor teh bridge pickup a bit and add a little 500K mid. PLa close to th ebridge and you've got it.

I like the tone - pretty "signature" if you ask me. I think adding that mid and playing by the bridge gets you that "fretless" kind of growl.

8. FenderP

FenderP Supporting Member

May 7, 2005
    Massachusetts
    I interviewed him about 10 years ago and he confirmed it was the Ovation.

9. VifferMike

VifferMike Registered Four Banger

Dec 10, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Yep, the Ovation is what he used to record Escape, and concert footage of the Escape tour shows him playing the Magnum II. As for the Steinberger, I'm about 80 percent sure that he recorded Frontiers with the Ovation and/or the Peavey, and broke out the 'berger for the tour (and most of the rest of his public career).

He'd just acquired the Peavey as the Departure tour, footage from which makes up nearly all of the content in 'Captured', took off. You can hear that boosted-mid growl on some of the songs on the live album; he was obviously playing with that boost-cut switch as the tour ran its course.

10. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Ross Valory is a very good bassist. The usually keep him down in the mix and the vocals, guitar and drums at much higher volumes.

11. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Not really a "boost-cut" switch. It put the pickups coils out-of-phase with each other, causing a more mid-rangy, thinner, growly tone (according to the literature that came with my new T-40 in 1983 ;) ).

12. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    You mean like most recordings :eyebrow: :p .

13. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    You are correct. I did see them on Direct TV with their new singer. He was sounding great and playing was rock solid. I could not identify the bass he was playing though. The headstock was Kubicki like, and the body was small (Cort Curvebowish.)

14. He now plays a Cubow Internation Petitie 4 String. And the new lineup is GREAT! I am a 17 year old kid and i love them, so im not the typical Journey fan haha.
    Cheers,
    Dave

15. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    He is also now playing with B-E-A-D tuning. The Live show you (Stinsok) saw was probably the 2001 show filmed here in Vegas at Mandelay Bay (have it on DVD). For those of you that know the parts, that's why his playing doesn't quite "look" right (compared to normal 4 string tuning).

16. jgoldbe

jgoldbe

Jul 9, 2008
    New York City
    i know ross valory used the peavey t40 on journeys 1978/79 tour. i know this because i now own this exact bass. no i dont mean the same model, i mean the same exact bass he had on tour.

17. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Or one of the T-40's he used on that tour. ;)

I bought a T-40 back around that time because of seeing his. I was in my teens so it was my first decent bass. Unfortunately the neck went to hell on it.

18. Hamrhed

Hamrhed

Dec 26, 2007
    Ky
    This is correct- Ross had an endorsement deal w/ Peavey as far back as the Evolution album/tour... I have a Peavey/Valory ad (from Guitar player I believe) somewhere, Ill see if I can dig it up...