1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ross Valory - nice

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by MinorPentatonic, Mar 25, 2006.

1. Sorry people couldn't help it I had to dig out some old Journey albums (I know kill me please now) but wow does that Ross Valory keep it together. Nothing fancy just getting the job done. Good man.

2. Minor,
    Are you talking about "old Journey" about 75' or so? Now, that's my favorite edition of the group. Can't really dig the newer Journey, more partial to the older stuff, instrumentals and Beatles influenced tunes!

Bobbo 77'

3. Winston TK

Winston TK Hairpiece Adventurer

Oct 8, 2001
    Burnaby, BC Canada
    Well, I'm not afraid to admit that I actually like the much maligned "Frontiers" and "Escape" era of the band. Ross had some really cool in-your-face midrange honky tones during that time that I really enjoyed. His lines really cut in the mix. I seem to recall he might have even been playing a Steinberger, at least in the videos (not that that means anything, of course). Mike Stone, one of my favourite producers, was involved with those albums too, if I'm not mistaken.

I wonder what Mr. Valory is up to these days?

4. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    Glen Cove, NY
    I love 80's Journey. Ross is a badass. Listen to "Send Her My Love."

5. Randy Jackson (Yes, that Randy Jackson) took over the bass chair for the ROR album and tour.

Of course, you knew that. ;)

Valory got his start with Boz Scaggs...Good, solid playing. He's touring with the new version of Journey, IIRC.

6. Never heard his playing, but his article in BP a long while back was downright stupid. Basically, "How to be an Egotistical Jerk and Wreck Your Hotel Room."

Sayin'.

7. That's because they are most mighty

...And you knew that, too.

;)

8. The nice contrapuntal lines in Don't Stop Believin'

Classic.

9. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Agree 100%.
    Have been meaning to pick up the 2 initial releases for awhile now.

10. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Yep--playing Curbow Petite basses.