Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ROTC??

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by nate 0 jt, Sep 19, 2002.

1. im a college student and i have found out that if i join the ROTC i can get free tuition, free room and board plus like $250 a month. There is two classes a week, physical training twice a week, and a physical test once a semester. But once i graduate i have to do like 4 years of service whether in the reserves or active duty. Does anyone have any expirience with the ROTC? Is it possible for me to play in the Army band for the four years after college? Let me know because i need tuition money. Thanks, nate

2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Not as an officer. Only 'elisted swine' get to play in the band. You'll have to see if you qualify to audition as a band officer - but that means a degree in some sort of music, as well as a lot of skill as a conductor.

3. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    No - you can't play in the Army band for your four year commitment.

If you only want to do this for the money and have no desire to actually serve of make use of military training, then don't do it.

If you are unsure what you want to do in life, and aren't anti-military, it is a great way to earn money. It will hedge your bet on a possible career or at least 4 years of experience that will help you get a better job.

4. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    If you do your four year commitment in the Reserves as you say you can, then that doesn't seem like a bad deal. You can go put your education to work getting the day job you want and still have the military foot the bill for your education in exchange for basically your spare time over a few years. As ZF says though, definitely don't do this just for the money.

5. Regardless, if your college has Air Force ROTC, do that. The Army sucks. If you are going to do some military service, at least join one that takes care of its people. Unless you like sleeping in the dirt and not showering for a week while out in the desert.

6. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    GuinessDrinker speaks the truth.

I've been in both services, and the USAF is the way to go.

7. Only a week?? I had to go a month on several occasions.

Nate, I agree with Zulu in that you shouldn't do it just for the $, and I agree with Guiness and Pacman in that id you do it, AF is the way to go. Army does indeed suck.

8. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    If I had it to do all over again, I'd go Air Force.