Roth as first Double?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Erich Bruning, Nov 26, 2003.

1. Erich Bruning

Erich Bruning

Nov 25, 2003
    Hi all,

I am new to this list and am glad I have found a great source of infoemation. I have played electric bass in the past, but always prefered the sound of a nice double bass. I find myself gettin more interested in Jazz.

I am currently shopping around for a bass and have tried some Chinese basses and a Strunal 5/20. they were nice, but I made the mistake of trying a 1960's EH Roth full carved.

It played and felt wonderfull. It is the only fully carved bass I have tried. The bass shows some rub wear and has some chipping in the top varnish. A repair was made to two cracks in the lower side. asking price is 5,500 with some room to negotiate. Are any of these thing to look out for? Can the pitting be fixed or does it matter in the long run?

I don't know of any other places in the area (New Hampshire), but will be with family in Atlanta this holiday season. Maybe there will be more to look at down there.

Thanks for any comments,

2. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    As posted in another thread here, Atlanta is not exactly rife with upright instruments. Don't waste your time with the usual Guitar Center jaunts...check out Bob Gollihur's Luthiers Directory and call the Atlanta-area luthiers listed there; ask what they have for sale.
  3. S&R Roth basses from that era are usually very good instruments. EH was their top of their line. Unless the chipping of the varnish bothers you, I wouldn't worry about it. As always, if you don't have the knowledge to evaluate an instrument, have someone who does look it over before you put down you hard earned money.
  4. Erich Bruning

Erich Bruning

Nov 25, 2003
    Thanks for the advise. I will have to plan a trip down to the Boston area to check out a few other basses. I don't mind waiting a little bit for the right bass.

I remember the time my Uncle let me play his 1950's fender blonde. It felt so much better and seemed easier to play than my Ibanez.