1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Roth Fiberglass Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Willem B, Apr 30, 2006.

1. Willem B

Willem B

Apr 26, 2006
    I saw a fiberglass bass in a shop today. The label inside said "Roth Fiberglass 3/4".

I am looking for a second bass instrument for use in a surfrock band. Since this instrument needs a lot of transporting and has heavy duty requirements i was thinking of buying this fiberglass thingy. Think its more solid than a wooden bass?

The price would be 600€. But i think i could lower it a bit, since the bass needs new strings, bridge and endpin. Since i plan to use it with my amp ( a 1972 Fender Bassman 100) i think it s ok if the bass cant make very much volume.

For this price however i could also buy a new cheap chinese bass in wood.... anybody suggestions? Or experience using a Realist pickup on a fiberglass bass?

2. anthem274

anthem274

Jul 19, 2003
    Arlington, TX
    I've only had experience with a few fiberglass basses. This past month I was helping a mass of 5th graders tune. 3 or 4 of the kids had fiberglassers and they really shocked me. Sure these weren't up to most's standards, but they definitely beat out the laminates. I was only playing their small 1/2 size basses, but from what I could hear, the FG basses had more punch, warmth, and volume... I still don't know how.

3. oleman

oleman

Apr 2, 2006
    W. Don't bother with the cheap Chinese Basses. My lyr old one is in my studio as we speak being glued and clampped back together after trying to selfdistruct for no real reason.
    Though some have had good luck with CCbs, I think conventional wisdom advises spending a little more for a lot more quality. I wish I had of listened.