1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Roth Upright bass info...

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by smythe5, Mar 17, 2016.

1. smythe5

smythe5

May 11, 2010
    I am considering buying a Roth upright. The cat who is selling it is asking $1500. The badge inside the F-hole says "Roth (Made in USA) catalog no. G-667 Serial no. D-79.
    Can anyone hep me out with some info? I'm guessing it's a german shop bass assembled in USA... or something like that. I'd love to know what era it was made, if possible. And what do you all think about the price? The bass has been through some things. There is a significant crack in the neck that has been repaired. Thanks!

2. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    Pictures would help, specifically of the scroll, neck, neck heel, neck button, back, top, and ribs.

carl h. likes this.
  3. smythe5

smythe5

May 11, 2010
    Here you go. Not great pics, but you'll probably get the idea.
    IMG_3517.JPG IMG_3518.JPG IMG_3520.JPG IMG_3521.JPG IMG_3522.JPG IMG_3524.

4. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    Perhaps you could post pics of the neck heel, neck button, E-side ribs, and scroll. From what I see, $1500 isn't such a deal.

5. LMAO Oh hell no.

Not that it matters, because no way you should drop $1500 on that bass, but there was a strange partnership between Scherl and Roth and Engelhardt at the time that bass was made. That bass is clearly a plywood German shop bass, but Engel also supplied basses to S&R on contract.

6. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    You can get a decent, new, Shen SB80 for around $1500 or Thompson ply for less. Walk away from it.

Remyd and csrund like this.
  7. smythe5

smythe5

May 11, 2010
    thanks for the replies folks. I tell you, what draws me into this bass is the tone. It's really, really good for a plywood. if it weren't for that important factor I would've already walked on it because I agree that $1,500 is a bit high for a bass in this condition.

8. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    In that case, if you're convinced that it has unusually great sound and you've just got to have it, haggle like crazy and play the hell out of it. If the neck eventually fails, It most likely won't be a cheap fix. I'd want to know if there are other unseen problems though.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
    Jake deVilliers likes this.