1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

roto 77?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by harpguy74, Feb 13, 2016.

1. harpguy74

harpguy74

Oct 2, 2011
    quebec canada
    its been a long time since I have asked a question on talkbass but here we go. last week I picked up a Ibanez 1986 roadstar ii p type bass. I have not picked up my 60s jazz since. I love the feel of this thing.i just ordered some emg gzr-p for it and am currently using labella flats . i love those strings but would like just a bit more brightness if you will for lack of a better description than my 3 year old labellas but remain with flats . really interested in trying the roto 77 mediams. anyone tried both that could clue me in on the main differences before i make a purchase

2. Having used both I think the Rotos have a cool, metallic edge and snappiness (brightness to some) to them that I like much better. That said, I find they lose that fairly quickly, which bums me out, but is something may seem to prefer.

3. Pier_

Pier_

Dec 22, 2013
    Roma, Italia
    Rotosound are ROUGH, with 1mm of space between coils on the surface of the winding, they are hard (I'd suggest you to try the 40-100 if you realy want. 45-105 are hard like 52-110 Labella) and, despite being flats, they tend to die.

this happens because they are not smooth, so the dirt gets through the coils, and the sound bright like rounds when new, but after a while they start sounding middy and dry, nothing like "common" flats like Labella.

if you want a brighter sound with the flatwound vibe, try D'Addario Chromes.

4. harpguy74

harpguy74

Oct 2, 2011
    quebec canada
    I love my labella flats if I remember they are 50-109 I have had them off and on my jazz for like 3 years or so. they still sound great but I would like just a tad more hmmm definition I guess for lack of a better word but stay with flats for my roadstar ii . I was playing mostly blues but have hooked up with a few guys and we are doing more early 70s rock like deep purple / cream rick derringer kind of stuff.

5. DLemos

DLemos

Sep 7, 2015
    I have been using nothing but Rotosound 77's for the past year and a half. I was using them with my Rickenbacker until I sold it. For being flatwounds, they preserved a lot of that Rick' growl on the low notes, and heavenly singing/thumping on the high notes. I have since been forced to switch to Sadowsky, as my Fretless came with them on it, and I have yet to purchase new strings. I know I will be staying with the flatwounds, might even go to a tapewound, I feel like I should try the Tru Bass 88's. Either way, I am going to feel these Sadowsky's out, find what I am truly looking for before buying my next pack.