Roto 88 tapes on a Viola? Hows fit for nut and bridge?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by boristhespider7, May 12, 2012.

1. boristhespider7

boristhespider7

Jan 27, 2008
    UK
    I'm considering getting some Rotosound 88's for my Epi Viola but just wondering whether they will fit in the bridge and nut? Will i need to file the nutslots? Will i actually be able to string them through the bridge holes?

The gauge is seriously wide: 65-115

2. boristhespider7

boristhespider7

Jan 27, 2008
    UK
    bump

3. landau roof

landau roof Reupholstered User

Jul 29, 2010
    Downstate CA
    I hope this helps:

I'm gonna guess that the E of the Fender flats on my Viola is a .105. When I was stringing it up, I thought it wouldn't seat fully in the bridge but it went right through with a bit of a tug. I got these strings in '02 IIRC, and they've been on more than a couple basses. The silk is pretty frayed. Those tapes are a bit fatter, but I think it's gonna come down to the way they're wrapped by the ball end.

As far as the nut, you may have to file it, but being that this is a zero fret bass, it'll be more forgiving.

4. bill reed

bill reed

Apr 2, 2012
    scotland
    had no problem fitting my 88s to my LE MARQUE L.E.
    great sound.

5. boristhespider7

boristhespider7

Jan 27, 2008
    UK
    Cool, the bridge looks like the same as the Viola (i think a lot of these parts are in common on beatles basses), so it looks doable!
    Did you have to do much nut filing?

I notice there's silks on the 88's though...my experience with Fender 105's is the same as in the post above. The E i had to cut down a lot of the silk and even then i had to use some force to get the E in. So i'd have thought a 115 gauge 88 would be even tighter. Maybe Rotosound use less silk?

6. bill reed

bill reed

Apr 2, 2012
    scotland
    Hi
    I did not have to file the nut, a little tap and it seated.
    all strings are a tight fit but no extra work fitting them.
    did not trim the silk, fitted them like i would normal strings.
    gives you a very deep double bass sound using fingers to pick, if using a pick the sound if a lot brighter.
    the E strin does not flap about and has a really good sound on the open E.
    really pleased with them, have them on my 5 string fretless. they were used on McCartney Hofner bass with the bassman sticker on it.

7. boristhespider7

boristhespider7

Jan 27, 2008
    UK
    That does it ...will definately have to get some. As Macca used them on the rooftop concert i'm guessing its the tone you can hear on Get back and Don't let me down (lovely bassline) :hyper:

8. bill reed

bill reed

Apr 2, 2012
    scotland
    View attachment 266928

View attachment 266929
    yes you see him tuning the bass on the roof before they start to play and you can see the black 88s.
    its medium scale strings if you have the the short tail piece like on mine.
    if the tail piece finishes at the Rhythm switch it medium strings
    if the tail piece finishes at the treble switch them its short scale strings.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021