1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Roto 88s intonation

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by seanm, Feb 11, 2006.

1. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I have had a set of Roto 88s tapewounds on my P bass for more than a month now. I am gettting intonation problems as they break in. I am hoping for a "dummy, do this" answer before I just give up on them and go back to the LaBellas.

I would like to keep the tapewounds since I love the sound, and I already have a P bass with flats, so this gives me some diversity.

The intonation seems to be getting worse, or maybe I ignored it during the honeymoon period, I am not sure. It is only a problem on the E string. I tune so the open E is bang on. The E at the 12th fret is bang on. The harmonic at the 12th is bang on.

But hitting other notes is a crap shoot. Sometimes they are good, but usually they are bad. I am being very careful to hit right up against the fret. Basically I am starting to cringe just thinking about hitting the E string :(

I can't understand how sometimes it is good, but usually it is bad. This bass has been very very stable. With the LaBellas (which are higher tension if that matters), I have gone a month without needing to touch the tuning. It just stays bang on.

Now I stupidly broke the nut adding the new strings and got a new nut made. So the nut is new.

2. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Ok, I solved it. You have to use a pretty light touch on the E string or it goes very sharp. Because I was getting frustrated, I was pushing harder on the E string, which was making it work.

In my defense, these strings are lower tension than I am used to on that bass. Although the strings are physically big, 115 E, they are much lower tension than the LaBella 760FS.

There should be a "cooling off" period for intonation posts.