1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Roto flats tension

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by markdavid, Mar 28, 2009.

1. markdavid

markdavid

Jun 29, 2007
    Hi all ,

Ive got a jazz bass that I tune DGCF , im using roto rounds gauged 110,85,70,50 on it , Im after a set of flats I can tune to DGCF, I know my local shop stocks the roto flats in gauges 105,85,65,45 , im tempted to pick up a set but haven't used these strings in years and cant remember how high the tension on these is , do you think these strings tuned DGCF will be ok tension wise (not too high tension) im thinking the tuning should lose some of the tension and I cant imagine going any lighter than this gauge to tune DGCF , what do you think

2. tomshepp

tomshepp Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2006
    Maynard MA
    Hey,
    I had Roto flats on a 68' Tele bass. Strings were through the bridge and it had a big maple neck. I can't be absolutely sure but I think they were 45-105. Tuned DGCF, the tension was fine. Plenty of definition to the low notes.

3. markdavid

markdavid

Jun 29, 2007
    Hi , put the 105-45 Rotos on , tension tuned to DGCF is actually slightly higher than the 110-50 strings , The sound is awesome though lots of upper mid bite and growl , I can't imagine anybody using these in standard tuning though , the tension would be way high

4. bassistgook

bassistgook

Feb 5, 2009
    LOL! Sorry for that. I am using the same gauge and roto flats on my 3 main basses and I only tune to standard. I have them strung through body on my ATK and on my 6 string basses I have a 130 for the low B and a 30 for the high C. They are working great for me. I play rather aggressive so I like the higher tension.

5. markdavid

markdavid

Jun 29, 2007
    I imagine on your six string basses tension is probably less of a concern because of the wider necks.
    Ive taken them off my bass now as the tension was driving me mad and also the flats have lost that growly upper mid that was present on them when I first put them on (which was why I went for rotos in the 1st place as I was after a bright sounding flat)