1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Roto RS77LE too stiff!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by 59jazz, Aug 13, 2007.

1. 59jazz

59jazz Infinite Rider on the Big Dogma Supporting Member

I just bought a P bass with Roto flats, just a bit too stiff for my liking. I'd like something a bit more flexible with less tension, than these strings. Would the LaBella 760FM's (.049-.109) &/or the Fender 9050ML's (.050-.109) be more flexible and have less tension? Chromes are out and I have TI's on two of my other basses.

TIA, p5

2. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps

I would recommend the LaBella 760FL, (.104 E, IIRC). The Fenders you refer to are a much lighter gauge- the MLs are actually .050-.100. The 9050M set is .055-.105 and VERY stiff.

3. FenderP

FenderP Supporting Member

May 7, 2005
    The Rotosound RS77LE set isn't stiff to me - it's been the set I've used on my basses since the late 80s - but to each his own. I love the tension, and this set is one of the higher ones out there.

4. 59jazz

Like I mentioned, just a tad more flexability and not as stiff as the Rotos..........Although with the Rotos I do like the fact, that I can pluck at the end of the neck without the strings clackin' on the fret board. FP, I'm tryin' out the P tonight thru the house system.......should be fun.

5. FenderP

FenderP Supporting Member

May 7, 2005
    phat5 - sounds good. Hope it passes the audition :)

Like I said, the Rotos aren't for everyone. The ones on that bass were not really broken in, either. A lot of people like the TIs (which you know about) and I wouldn't call the LaBella strings much less tension than the Rotos the one time I tried 'em.

6. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    The LaBella 760FL set is both lower tension and more flexible to the touch than the Roto flats in similar gauge.

7. 59jazz

Played the Tokai thru the pa last night..sounds huge! I found some more reviews on the LaBellas; just might be the ticket.

8. La Bella also makes an "FS" set of flats. The strings are gauged E - .105, A - .085, D - .065, G - .045

I have these with the .128 B string on a Spector 5'er with a 35" scale and they play really nice. They'll have a bit less tension on a 34" scale bass.

Also, I have the heavier "FM" set on my Fender Precision, 34" scale. Why the difference in sets? I want the tension to be about the same between the Spector and the Fender.