Roto Sound

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bassist_punk, Oct 30, 2002.

1. Hey, do any of you guys have an opinion on Roto Sound strings?
  2. ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA

I've always found that they sound very full and bright. I've also found that they have a VERY rough texture and are the only strings I've used that have left visible fret wear over a short time span (whereas other strings lead to minor wear, but only after many sets and a very long period of time; ex: 1 year+). This could be a unique experience, but from the texture, would not surprise me.
    (Once again, my experience)
    In a nutshell, great sound, very rough, might eat your frets.
  3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

ZING!!!! (Roto Swing 66's, stainless) . Loved `em for years playing punk.

But the the DR company was established and made the stainless Hi Beams that are just as bright with that piano-like "zing" but lasted longer than Rotos.

However, I've seen some people say Rotosound improved the lifespan of Swing 66's since I last used them years ago. I would try them again if I needed that "Entwistle razor's edge" sound again.
  4. Currently my staple diet of strings consists mostly of Roto Swing 66s. Although my fretless may get the Roto 77 treatment when the strings it came with need replaced!

Didn't have a lot of choice here, but I might try online to get some DRs or D'Addario - but I will keep comparing them to Rotos!