Roto Swing 66 Nickel Alternative?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Rev. Cornelius, Oct 23, 2017.

1. Rev. Cornelius

Rev. Cornelius Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2007
    Boston, MA
    So I walked in to a GC on the way to rehearsal............

As expected, the GC I visited over the weekend did not carry the Roto 66 LDN's that I use on my Jazz. That I needed to go there at all is my own fault as I failed to call BSO in time for this weekend's activites.

So, I am looking for suggestions for a replacement for the LDN's that are normally available at GC. I did try the stainless version of the 66 as they are available at GC. However, the SS is very different than the nickel particularly in the mids and low mids. YMMV. I kept looking at the amp settings wondering if I had any mids dialed in at all.

So I am looking for help choosing an alternative for those situations where big box purchases are necessary. Most GC's stock few choices for DR's. Occasionally, I see a High Beam or the Pure Blues. I do use the Sunbeams of my fretless and for rock gigs on my P but they never carry them. I do see a variety of D'Addario's, EB's etc. available but I am unfamiliar with them.

My signal path: Jazz with Antiquities>Board (comp, B3K, modulation, delay)>Demeter HBP-1 >QSC amp>F212. Progy-hard rock/ with synths, 80% pick. No Slapping.

So what would be your "off the rack" suggestion as a temporary replacement when needed?

Thanks

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
  2. GK Growl

GK Growl Inactive

Dec 31, 2011
    D'Addario EXL Nickel Rounds and Ernie Ball Slinky Nickel Rounds. Both sets have good mids and top end for nickels. They can be found EVERYWHERE usually and the price point is good.

Arthur U. Poon and BrentSimons like this.
  3. If they have the Dean Markley Blue Steels, I've found the SS similar to the RS66 SS. The Blue Steels come in nickel as well, so it's possible they'll have the same similarity to the RS66 nickel.

4. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
  5. I would second the GHS Boomers on this one and I'm a stalwart Rotos fan/user. The nickel Swingbass are a completely different animal than the stainless Swingbass. I found them very subdued in the top end almost like a drastic high end cut. Feel and flexibility are about the same as the stainless with the nickels being slightly smoother. I think in this case the Slinkies and XL's might be too twangy? The Boomers should give you the mids you are looking for without the clank?
    Hope this helps,
    Brent

trothwell, michael_t and Linnin like this.
  6. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Inactive Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    Closest thing is Rotosound RotoBass. Don't think anyone stocks them in B&M stores.

BrentSimons likes this.
  7. Hi Jason,
    GC used to sell them. In fact one time they sold me a set of those instead of my usual Swing Bass 66's. Back then the packaging was similar.The Rotobass still sounded like they had more high end response than the Swingbass Nickels. I'll have to check them out again. Maybe I just had a bad set?
    Brent

8. trothwell

trothwell

Apr 9, 2008
    Last I saw, my local GC has RotoBass also. I don't go in there much; earlier this year sometime...

BrentSimons likes this.
  9. Rev. Cornelius

Rev. Cornelius Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2007
    Boston, MA
    Jason (and everyone else):

Thanks for the replies. Unless I go to the downtown Boston store the nickel 66's are never available nor are the Roto Bass. I was just looking for other suggestions for a walk-in purchase when I fail to call you and order in advance. I bought the SS version for this weekends events but the results were not what I had hoped for. Maybe the nickel boomers would work in a pinch...

Thanks

10. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    GHS Bass Boomers will make you toss your Rotos in the harbor like so much unwanted tea. So put on your war paint and war hoop for GHS Bass Boomers! The revolution is yours!

11. Toptube

Toptube

Feb 9, 2009
    Blue Steel Nickels are indeed a warmer string. the overall tone signature is different than the roto nickels. But as a walk-in replacement, you.....might actually love them.

DR Low Rider nickels are cool too, if you can find some in the wild.