1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

rotos... love and hate 'em

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by jamersonburton, Mar 30, 2013.

1. jamersonburton

jamersonburton

Jul 22, 2011
    just bought my second set of rotos ever. G string: Awesome, nice, crisp, and ringy. D string: Awesome, nice, crisp, and ringy. A string: Awesome, nice, crisp, and ringy. E string: okay, tons of mids like the other strings, no ringy :bawl:

I love the tone of broken in OR new rotos (rs66)... but i dont like it when all but 1 string ring.

In theory, would it work to just play the top three strings for a bit and wait till they die a lil and even out with the monster e string? I used the ghs fast fret on the e string, it brightened up a tiny tiny tiny bit but nowhere near to the ringy-ness of the other strings. I've heard of rotos QC problems but these are really great strings. only time will tell.

Who else here loves and hates rotos... AT THE SAME TIME!!! :cool::bassist::bassist::bassist:

2. Casting Thunder

Casting Thunder

Oct 7, 2012
    I guess I fall in here. I have a set and I enjoy them alright, but if I close my eyes and play the G string I think I'm playing a piano. I don't think I'll be buying another set though.

3. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    I don't care for them in fact I think I have two new sets in the closet somewhere.

4. jamersonburton

jamersonburton

Jul 22, 2011
    ^^^ BLASPHEMY!!!!^^^

joke! joke!

5. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    I love them, brand new right outta the box. Never had a problem with any strings being brighter than the others. And mjac28, Why you sitting on them, let them go to someone who will use them. ;)

6. Fretlessbaby

Fretlessbaby Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2013
    +1
    They are hard on frets also.

7. .
    Sorry about hijacking the thread, but I've been trying to get an answer to this for months online with no luck to date......

Has anyone ever tried Rotosound RS99 "Piano" strings on a Rickenbacker 4001/4003?
    (I have them on my Precision and love them! .... but the Precisions are a completely different animal to the Rickenbackers.)

If so, what's your opinion of the sound? The Ricks already have a piano-like tone, will the addition of the RS99s enhance this or send it over the top?

I'm tempted to buy a set for my own 4001 but just want to hear people's opinions before I spend/waste the money!

Thanks in advance.

8. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    More for me. :D

9. Fretlessbaby

Fretlessbaby Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2013
    See above! :bassist:j

10. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

I loved the tone but got too many sets with dead E strings. I told the reps from Rotosound at a NAMM show and they apologized and gave me two sets...both had dead E strings.

When I discovered Rotosounds on a P bass through an SVT in the mid 70's, I started looking for other strings that sounded like them, but were cheaper. I tried a lot. The best were labeled "London Power" and I bought what the store had, and never found them again.

I found some Kaman nickel strings that did Rotosound tone for $10 a set. When I switched to a 5 string, the search began again. My search ended with Dean Markley SR2000's. Bright, clangy and long lasting. (FWIW, I didn't like their Blue Steels.)

11. FourBanger

FourBanger

Sep 2, 2012
    SE Como
    When I was a wee lad the bassist I looked up to most (before my hiatus as a sixbanger) advised me to play Rotos, as they were what all the best rockers used.

I should look him up, I know he is still in a band locally, Kruddler. Maybe he is still rocking Rotos.

12. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Do you possibly have the E string twisted? That's often a cause of dead E string syndrome. Not always, but sometimes. Might want to let out some string and let it hang loose, then restring it to tension. I used to use Rotos but it was years ago, and I don't ever remember getting a dead E.

13. JGbassman

JGbassman Supporting Member

May 31, 2011
    I love them. Using them on all my basses except jaco jazz, which has flat wounds. After about two weeks they are broken in and seem to be even across the fretboard even the low b on my jazz I've always I just dig the growl they produce

14. Recently used 3 new sets on 3 basses, no probs here, love them.

15. Love rotos on my passive yamaha, dont like them on my other basses

16. BassLife77

BassLife77

Nov 13, 2009
    San Diego
    Roto 66's still the greatest strings I ever used and I tried them all

17. jamersonburton

jamersonburton

Jul 22, 2011
    I dont believe so... but ill try it when i get the chance

18. jamersonburton

jamersonburton

Jul 22, 2011
    well.... i just tried to see if the string was twisted cuz the e strings is a bit muted and doesnt have the new zing of a new string (no rhyme intended ;) )... nothing really changed.... I think ill throw roto an email.

19. Jaco Taco

Jaco Taco

Jul 30, 2012
    Weirdly ironic since Jaco used Roto rounds on his bass.

20. bearfoot

bearfoot

Jan 27, 2005
    schenectady, ny
    I can't say as I've ever experienced a dead E with Roto 66's, have used probably a dozen or so sets of them over the years...there must be a difference in overtones though on the E since some of you experience it consistently - and will vary with bridges and body woods -