1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Rotos to DRs ?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by AdamR, Jan 8, 2012.

1. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    Just wondering how many have switched from Roto 66s to Dr Hi-beams ? I love my 40-95 Rotos but I see so many recommendations for DRs Im curious. How would you describe the tone difference ?

2. Dallyd31

Dallyd31 Supporting Member

Jun 22, 2005
    Peterborough, Ontario
    I use nickle low riders on my Ric. I dig them.

3. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    DR's will be smoother feeling and longer lasting for sure. They are not as 'obnoxious' sounding as Roto's though.

4. NOT

NOT

Jul 15, 2011
    I used Rotosound for my first 3 years of playing. Now, for my main stage basses, I use DR HI Beams. They last so much longer. For the basses I essentially use at home, I use Ernie Ball Slinkys.

5. Geroi Asfalta

Geroi Asfalta

Aug 23, 2011
    Test out a set....I like them, quite a bit. And they save me money even though they're $10 more. I use to have to change my Roto's every week andh hardly played because the strings would die so fast. I change my DRs every month and I abuse them.

6. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    After my Roto 66's died, I first went to Hi-Beams, then onto Lo-Rider steels, and now onto DR Fat Beams. Geez. I could have got a couple more sets of Roto's for the price of my quest. But really, Rotos die so fast, they're just not practical for me, even though the Rotos really were spectacular on my Ric 4003.

I think the Fat Beams are the winners for me. See this thread I started:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f16/dr-fat-beams-oh-yeah-836553/

7. Zoa

Zoa

Dec 28, 2009
    You are not gonna get a Roto sound out of DRs, but, quite simply, DRs are a higher quality string.

8. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    Both are tip top string manufacturers.

However they are constructed very differently. The size of the windings make that Rotosound sound, while the DR's have multiple layers of finer wrap wire to make up their strings.

The Rotosound may have 3 wraps around the core to make up their .105 while the DR have 6 wraps around the core to make their .105. This will create a different tone as well as a different feel... The smaller diameter wire on the outer winding of the DR give them a smoother / finer feel than the Rotosound.

You can't really compare the two or expect one sound out of one than you can the other.

When it comes down to it, its how the string manufacturer wraps the wire around the core.. tension / speed / size of wire / angles / that determine the sound the string is going to produce...

9. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Daytona beach, Fl
    DR>Rotosound. But you need to play them yourself and decide.
    For me, DR HiBeams have a real musical, rich, warm yet clear tone when broken in. (After a couple of gigs when the "zing" begins to mellow a little). Once there, they last for a long time

10. I switched from Rotosound to DR Lo-Riders, steel. Very close the same sound but Lo-Riders last much longer.

11. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    Nothing sounds exactly like Roto 66's. But most folks agree that the closest alternatives are Hi-Beams, Lo-Rider steels, and Fat Beams.

12. Freez

Freez

Nov 8, 2008
    Detroitish
    Every time I read one of your posts, my brain "hears" it in Arnolds voice. It's pretty fun!

"Nahtting zounds eggzakly like dee Roto 66's. Baht mozt fokes ahgree dat dee clozest altearnatives are dee Hi-Beamss, dee Lo-Rider zhteels, and dee Fat Beamss."

13. strappa

strappa Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2009
    Philadelphia, PA
    i agree coolhand, rotos sounded great on the Ric I had
    and sometimes when i get a new bass i think rotos will sound good on it
    and they do but i always end up going back to DR Hibeams

imho, rotos are very mid focused
    dr hi beams have more lows and highs

14. jweber76

jweber76

Aug 10, 2011
    Attleboro, Ma
    I started on rotosound strings but switched to stainless highbeams on all my basses... I prefer the feel and sound on my fenders. The extended life means more time playing and less time changing strings.