1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Rotosound 77 Flats

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by SundanceChile, Apr 25, 2009.

1. Yeah, yeah, yeah. I've done the searches. All I'm getting out of them is that they don't sound like "normal" flats, which from my understanding comes from their unique construction. I'd appreciate some feedback from my fellow TB'rs on these strings. Thump? Definition? Cuts through the mix? Growly? Smooth? Lay it on me. :bassist:

2. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    To my ears, they sound a lot like the SS Roto rounds, without the top end, and when they get older they thump a bit more than the rounds, too.

They have a very strong and recognizable low mid voice, IMO, that is unique to Rotos, which I love on their rounds but for some reason hate on their flats.

I've played sets that were fairly smooth and sets that felt like they were filed by a monkey with a hangover.

3. Meatrus

Meatrus

Apr 5, 2009
    England
    I have a set on a cheap 70's bass of mine, and find they have quite a bit of treble, but its like smooth kind of muted treble, different to the 66.

I'm guessing you already know, but i will say it anyway - they are made of Monel, so in theory they should last a long time as it isn't supposed to corrode, I haven't had mine long enough to know though.

4. lawsonman

lawsonman

Dec 19, 2005
    NW IL
    All I know is that when I put them on my Gibson SG, they turned it into a real thumper.

Brio likes this.
  5. Hmmm. I think I'm going to pop on Dark Side of The Moon and see what Roger Waters thought of them...;)

Sounds like they're at least worth a shot. Nothing ventured nothing gained right? :D

6. Tony In Philly

Tony In Philly Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2007
    Filthydelphia, USA
    Back in '75 when my bass was in the shop I borrowed a friend's '62 Jazz Bass that was strung up with them for a gig or two. It sounded so good I still remember it after 34 years!

7. Jason Hollar

Jason Hollar Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2005
    Pittsburgh area
    I've been using them faithfully for many years now. I use the 45's on my 5 string Yamaha TRB. They do last an incredibly long time -- and by that I mean under stressful working conditions. I had a set last over 100 four-hour rock & blues gigs before the brave G string gave up the ghost! That was nearly 7 months of working 3-5 nights a week in crummy smoke-filled bars -- playing LOUD funky grooves.

I think they are a very bright sounding flat with a good solid fundamental. I agree that some sets out of the box seem to be smoother than others -- but any roughness goes away after a week or so.

I think they are worth a try. I just got a set of the Labella Deep Talkin Flats and will try them next -- but probably not until after the summer -- my current Rotos still have a ton of life left now that I'm not gigging on electric as much these days.

8. brachal

brachal

Jan 7, 2006
    New Orleans, La
    I put a set on my old EB-3 about a year ago, and it was a revelation. I'd been playing it with rounds for years, but with the flats it seemed to really find its voice. I'm very happy with them, especially since I'm playing more blues these days ... the sound really fits the genre.

9. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    I found them very bright, kind of like rounds. The tension got to me, and I changed them out before they could age properly on my bass.

Funny that the most famous Roto flat user, Steve Harris, changes them so often that they can't possibly break in, which generally when flats sound best.

It's almost like he's using them "wrong", yet he is the poster boy for them.

10. bah, i hated these strings. had them on a jazz bass, they sounded like poo, i can't even really describe, but they took all the personality out of it.

11. rooted

rooted

Feb 3, 2005
    Corona, CA
    I like them. I use the heavy gauge 77LE's on my PJ. They give a very rich consistent tone across all strings. I usually tune DGCF because of the high tension, though. I'm in no hurry to change them.

12. elBandito

elBandito

Dec 3, 2008
    Rotten Apple
    wow. You must have fingers of steel. Even the mediums hurt my finger joints.

13. FenderP

FenderP Supporting Member

May 7, 2005
    Weaklings! lol I use the RS77LE set (my standard set for years) with very high action.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6322172&postcount=77

I've since taken one plate off only to make sure all of my basses are at even height. The other plate went on my '76 Fretless P (which also has the 77LEs) under the bridge.

And yes, it's E A D G.

14. loopee

loopee Supporting Member

May 12, 2009
    Surrey, B.C. Canada
    They are not good on short scale basses. The E string is almost impossible to intonate. It just won't track. Not worth the $60cdn I paid for them. Maybe good on long scale but "poo" on short scale. Won't stay in tune either. My old strings never had that problem (GHS Pressurewounds).

15. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I have the Roto 77's on a short scale bass and like them a lot. No intonation problems, and they've been on it for about four years now.

16. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

I've got them on an SX P-bass and they sound great. Very bright initially but the mellow into a nice warm tone. I don't play that bass a lot, maybe once a month, but the strings have been on for over a year and are going strong.

17. brachal

brachal

Jan 7, 2006
    New Orleans, La
    +1 on that. My EB-3 loves 'em.

18. lawsonman

lawsonman

Dec 19, 2005
    NW IL
    I've got no issues at all with them on my SS SG.

19. Gohloum

Gohloum

May 24, 2009
    Sorry about that. I've been having a really hard time keeping the monkey out of the liquor cabinet. That's the problem with primates over other pets - they have thumbs! :D

20. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    I tried the SH set because I was looking for a set with the highest possible tension (to allow low action). I liked the sound right out of the package but as they broke in, it became less well-defined and the frequency response didn't give me well-enough defined bottom. When slapping on them when fresh, you could have fooled anyone to believe you were using rounds. That particular "bounce" in the strings is the only thing I miss in most other flats I've tried, except the chromes.