Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rotosound 77s for 6 string?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Alex, Dec 20, 2005.

1. I have used these on my 4s for a while now, and I have been fairly bummed because the Rotosound website says that they don't make them for 6 stringers. Well, I was looking for strings for my 6er online yesterday and saw this:

http://www.juststrings.com/rts-rs776ld.html

scam or great find?

also, flatwounds seem to have more tension than rounds on my 4s, would there be too much tension on the C string on a 6?

One last question, what does "long scale" mean? my 4s are normal 34" scale and take "long scale" rotosounds. my 6 is 35" scale. is that like extra long scale or something?

2. well, looking at the package, they only have 5 strings, so i would email them about it...personally i'd say that if Rotosound said they don't have them, they probably don't...my guess is what they probably do is send that pack of five rotosounds, and throw in a non-namebrand "c" string

3. I did e-mail them:
    hmmm.... :meh:

4. I am unfamiliar with JustStrings.com's return policy. If it IS just a crap C string, would I get a refund, replacement...? \

That's it, I'm emailing Rotosound.

Here's what I sent:

5. Has anyone ever bought this string set before?

6. I think a 30 Jazz flat will be pretty tight tuned to C on a 35in scale.

I've got a 35-95 Jazz flats set on my 34in ABG in standard tuning, and the 35 is as tight as a 45 round would be.

I recall Rotosound saying they offer C strings of the 77 and 88 flats only on request.

7. I have 45-105 flats on my 4 (34" sclae) and I find the tension fine. I don't know how much tighter that would be on a 35" scale, though. Is there anyway to tune my bass up to simulate the tension of a 35" scale?
    Well then I hope that that's what they did. :meh:

8. well, I looked at the single strings, and they do sell a jazz 77 flat high C alone. Well, I'm glad I figured that out!

TB saves the day again!

Is there a good online string tension calculator online that someone could link me to? I googled for one, and found a few, but none of them worked for bass or flats. If I'm just not using them right, could someone :help: me?

9. lol every string tension calculator I find online is for lutes. What gives?

Anyone that has used these or a similar 6 string gauge for flats would be super helpful in helping me decide if the string tension would be too high.

10. Well, just an update. I got my strings in the mail today. They are AWESOME. Great tension and feel, and the C string is REAL!

Anyone that wants flats for 6 string should definitely get these!

:hyper:

I can't stop playing them!

:hyper:

11. PhilMan99

PhilMan99

Jul 18, 2003
    US, Maryland
    Are you still liking these strings? I've got an Ibanez SR496 6-string with TI Jazz Flats. I'm looking for a bit more "thud", but also want good intonation (pitch).

12. Ya, I LOVE these things. These difference in tone (good to bad) is unbelievable! They've stayed in tune since they got stretched. They definitely get the "thud". That's one of my favorite things about them. Their feel is also amazing. Your B will go from Janet Reno to Jessica Alba!

No question, get these!

13. PhilMan99

PhilMan99

Jul 18, 2003
    US, Maryland
    Does the 6-string Rotosound 77 flat set come in a single box, or did it turn-out to be a 5-string set with a separate C string?

I went to the Rotosound web-site, but for the 77s, they only list 4 & 5-string sets :confused:

14. Rotosound sells C strings separately (read above) It all came in one box for me. I bet they just slip in the C string.

15. PhilMan99

PhilMan99

Jul 18, 2003
    US, Maryland
    I looked a bit closer at the box on juststrings.com: http://juststrings.com/rts-rs776ld.html

The box is from a 5-string set, but it looks like there's a sticker on the box making it a 6-string set (C string added). Click on the image at the URL above to get a bigger image.

I also found a 6-string set of flats at Carvin for about $20 less; clearly labeled as a 6-string set.

16. Yeah, it's definitely a C string set.

I dunno about the Carvins...These are the best flats I have ever played, and I've used a LOT of flats.

Choice is yours though.

~Alex

17. PhilMan99

PhilMan99

Jul 18, 2003
    US, Maryland
    I just bought a 6-string Rotosound 77 set from juststrings.com. Interestingly, I emailed Rotosound 77 and they explained that they do not sell a 6-string set; I guess juststrings.com is the one that is adding-in the C, and selling it as a set.

Interested parties may care to go to http://www.rotosound.com/bass.html. Just scroll up & down and click play to hear samples of all their string-types. The 77s are my pick!

18. Good choice, man! You won't be dissapointed.