Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rotosound 77's

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by skewh, Oct 13, 2005.

1. skewh

skewh

Sep 5, 2005
    Ithaca, NY
    Has anybody played them? I'm going to pick up another fretless (my old one is FUBAR) and want to know how they sound. Are they bright? Do they sound vibrato as well as roundwounds? Most importantly, are they good for harmonics? I play Roto 66's on my fretted bass (and on my old fretless before it was destroyed), so if anyone can offer some comparison to the 66's that would be fantastic.

Thanks,
    Dave

2. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    As you seem to realise, the 77s are flats and the 66s are rounds, so comparing them is a bit chalk and cheese, really. I mainly use 66s on fretted basses myself and love them, but I have a Jazz with 77s on for when I want that flatwound clunky sound. But they aren't really a substitute for rounds, they're too different really.

Have you thought of the Rotosound Solo Bass pressure wound strings? They should be pretty close to rounds in tone but have a smoother finish which should help minimise wear on a fretless board. I have a set waiting to go on my fretless Jazz - haven't tried them yet as the Dean Markely Fretmasters I've got on there are lasting really well, but these cost a lot more than Rotosounds, at least here in the UK. They're another good option for fretless though; roundwound strings, but burnished over the fingerboard section for a smoother finish (and therefore reduced wear).

3. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Rotosound 77 have more of a treble sound for flats.
    TI-flats have more meds.
    Labella-flats more bass.
    I've used all three.
    I like the Labella for my fretted P-bass.
    TI- for my fretless P-bass.
    Roto's for my fretted Jazz.

4. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Rotosound 77 have more of a treble sound for flats.
    TI-flats have more meds.
    Labella-flats more bass.
    I've used all three.
    I like the Labella's for my fretted P-bass.
    TI- for my fretless P-bass.
    Roto's for my fretted Jazz.

5. Tired_Thumb

Tired_Thumb Guest

I use them, .30-.100 on my 5 string fretless. They're somewhat of a unique beast, but they're great if you're the type of player for them. I play quite a bit of fast fingerstyle grooving and speed metal (or should I say "half speed"? :meh: ), and the stiffness in the strings actually works in my favor given my fingers tend to get tangled up in softer strings. I've also noticed they have a fairly clean attack also compared to some other strings (for me, that is). They are somewhat of a low output string, but that can be solved by turning the volume up.