Rotosound alternative?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Flatwound, Jan 4, 2002.

1. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I really like Roto 66's, but I'm concerned about fret wear. Is there anything out there that sounds like them, but would maybe last a little longer and be easier on the frets?
  2. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    I don't know about the frets, nickel might be the best bet there.

I used to play nothing but Roto 66's until I tried DR's. I would recommend trying DR's stainless Lo Riders. They are not as bright as the Rotos out of the box, but they are more consistent and balanced IMO. They also have a great low end, though just a tad less edgy than the 66's. Finally, they don't deaden as quick as the Rotos.
  3. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I agree with seamus on the DR's. You may also want to try D'Addario Prisms, a very bright ss string that some have complained doesn't last too long. Not really been my experience, however. As to fretwear, I think most ss rounds will just about equally eat frets--nature of the beast, more or less.
  4. sgraham

Aug 30, 2000
    Tyler, TX
    Try Ken Smith Rock Masters - they're stainless
    steel, bright, a little cheaper, and the purple
    windings are cool, too! :)
  5. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Good point about the Smiths - I haven't tried them for a while. I may just stick with nickel, though. I have nickels on a couple of basses and they're sounding OK.
  6. gbenner

May 20, 2001
    ocean, new jersey
    how about the dr sunbeams, their nickel, bright, and they last.
  7. sgraham

Aug 30, 2000
    Tyler, TX
    If you wanna stick with nickel, try the Ken Smith
    Burners. They're not quite as bright as the SS's
    but they sound great and last a long time.

(Actually, I think they're nickel-plated steel)
  8. Thomguy

Oct 15, 2001
    New York, USA
    Thomastik-Infeld Powerbass series. They've got a carbon steel hexagonal core, two wraps of carbon steel and then the outer most winding is nickel plated carbon steel. (Carbon steel is the really bright stuff) The higher ferrous content in the windings retains the bright punch, but the nickel plating saves your frets. Best of both worlds. And nothing lasts longer than Thomastik's...

Many a Roto convert to the TI's (EB344 & EB345's) Also i agree with the DR's that were mentioned. They're not as bright, but they are pretty consistent and well made.