1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Rotosound BS66 - Different tone in every string?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by diegom, Sep 14, 2018.

1. diegom

diegom

Jun 18, 2008
    I could not find anything related to this using search. Please excuse if it has been discussed.
    Well, after a very, very long hiatus I'm slowly getting out there, playing again. Being older, I probably analyze thing a bit more than when I was younger...

I got the BS66 strings because I realized that having a heavier "E" would allow me to easily detune and keep a reasonable tension. Having a lighter "G" would give me more flexibility for bends.

What I find is that, when playing scales, the timbre, the tone of the notes is significantly different... almost like on the old, OLD Pbasses, with the very loud "A" string. Is this usual for these strings? As it is right now, I tend to play certain phrases on a single string, rather than playing across multiple strings. I kind of appreciate the different 'colors', but I'm curious, it this really a "thing" with a heavy "E" and a lighter (regular) "A"??

Thanks!

Diego

2. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    How old are the strings? I've experienced this feeling before, but usually with very new strings. I find that when I've felt that way, they typically become consistent over a little bit of time.

Or I unknowingly adjust to their inconsistencies. Either way, it always has worked itself out in short order IMO.

diegom likes this.