1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Rotosound flats...advice needed

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by purfektstranger, Oct 2, 2009.

1. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Recently acquired a Steve Harris P strung with his Rotosound SH strings. Nice strings but pretty bulky. Can anyone suggest a similar flat string with a slightly smaller guage? Thanks.

2. I think i've heard TI Jazz Flats are kind of comparable. (and maybe DR Hi-Beam Flats too)

3. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Roto Jazz 77 Flats are exactly the same, and come in quite a few smaller guages than the SH set.:)

4. Rawkabilly

Rawkabilly

May 4, 2007
    Central IL
    TI's are like the polar opposite of Rotosound's, in both feel and tone. The DR's are great strings, but they're more of a traditional-sounding flat(ie-thumpy).
    I'd say maybe give D'Addario Chromes a shot. They're less stiff than the Roto's and they sound great. IMO and all that......

5. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Thanks everyone for the helpful advice!

6. Meatrus

Meatrus

Apr 5, 2009
    England
    Fender make a 45-95 set of flats. They sound a bit like the Rotos but with a bit less bight, and they are cheap!

7. basslinejam

basslinejam

Mar 21, 2005
    New York City
    +1

Get the rotosound 77's in 45-105. Nice sounding strings with a cool tactile feel.

8. G00D+~VIBES

G00D+~VIBES

Nov 21, 2008
    Kansas City
    +1

I use the 77's (same set for nearly a year now) on a Jazz bass. I love everything about them. I should note however, that I like big stiff strings. I think that combined w/ high(er/ish) action yield tonal qualities that cannot be reproduced otherwise.

9. Meatrus

Meatrus

Apr 5, 2009
    England
    The tension feel on the Rotos in standard gauge seems immense, so as has already been said above, be prepared! If you think you may not be a fan of the tension/stiffness go for a gauge lower if possible.

I went for the Fenders I mentioned earlier, and these still have more tension than most rounds, but a hell of a lot better than the standard gauge rotos.