1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rotosound flats make my basses quieter. Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by ampegfuzz, Feb 28, 2013.

1. ampegfuzz

ampegfuzz Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2007
    Davenport, IA
    I noticed that the rotosound 77's soften the output of the basses I put them on. Is this just a roto thing or flats in general? I like the way they sound but they kinda killed the way my Rickenbacker acts with some of my pedals. And my p bass doesn't drive amp inputs as nice as with rounds.

2. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    Depending on the strings material, the overall output of the instrument may change.

Some strings companies advertise that some of their strings give a higher output based on their materials and construction...

3. GlassOnion

GlassOnion 1.21 Gigawatts

Apr 4, 2011
    Tempe Arizona
    Is your comparison rounds vs flats, flats vs flats?

4. Duckwater

Duckwater

May 10, 2010
    USA, Washington
    IME Flatwounds have less harmonics which are more audible to the human ear. High tension strings like the Rotos also have a smaller area of vibration which could translate to less volume coming from your bass as well.

5. GlassOnion

GlassOnion 1.21 Gigawatts

Apr 4, 2011
    Tempe Arizona
    The name flat describes the feel to touch and tone to ear. Rounds are more <mid high. Flats are low mid>. My .02c is not world tour tested but more too much money spent.

6. cabcreaser

cabcreaser Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    The 77s are the lowest output flat I've used. I'm guessing the monel nickel aspect is the culprit. However, nothing else sounds like them - a flat with grind!

7. ampegfuzz

Feb 13, 2007
    Davenport, IA
    Well I first noticed last week when I changed the E and A on my Ric and did a quick A/B comparison (flats v. rounds). Then I was doing a p pup shoot out with some p basses in my house and one I just worked on for a friend and noticed my '74 p seemed quiet. I slapped a couple rounds on the E and A on the '74 and there it was. I only have one other bass with flats and its a jazz (strung with well seasoned chromes). Im going to A/B those flats tonight but was wondering of anyone had the same experience and I might look for another flat close to roto's with more magnetic properties to get the output I lost.

8. hotbass57

hotbass57

Nov 27, 2011
    Fairfield,Ohio
    Get strings at BassStringsOnline.com
    Ask Jason, he can help you out!

9. zfunkman

zfunkman

Dec 18, 2012
    Switch strings. I use Thomastic Infeld Jazz flats; they play and sound awsome!

10. ampegfuzz

Feb 13, 2007
    Davenport, IA
    I'm now worried they will all be quiet. I actually like the chromes on my jazz and went to rounds on it for a minute and took them right back off it. But starting to dislike what these roto's are doing on my Ric and P. TI's are so expensive too worried I would hate them then be made I bought them.

11. cabcreaser

cabcreaser Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    I agree ti flats sound awesome, but they sound nothing like roto flats imo

12. bassboysam

bassboysam Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Ottawa, Ontario
    I thought you always used Roto flats...

13. ampegfuzz

Feb 13, 2007
    Davenport, IA
    I've had roto's on my p bass for a couple years (same set) but I didn't really notice till I tried to put them on my Ric that their quiet. They sound great but like I said after the Ric incident I put a couple rounds on the p bass and was surprised by the output difference.

14. bassbombs84

bassbombs84

Dec 26, 2008
    yup, roto flats are definitely quieter than other strings. They sound amazing, but def have less output.

Luckily all you have to do is turn up!

15. ampegfuzz

Feb 13, 2007
    Davenport, IA
    I don't mind on the p but the Ric was a big let down.

16. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    On my Hamer Cruise 2Tek, Chromes and Roto 77's have similar output. Pyramid flats? Now there's a string with low output.

17. This. Great strings, very distinctive sounding with a little more "grab" than most flats. But not high output.

18. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Bingo!